Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Question About Keeping Drive Used To Install... - 05-26-2010, 08:04 PM

So, I used mechdrew's guide on installing without a Mac. Was having trouble getting the Leopard ISO/Image to a drive and wound up using TransMac, then formatted the drive to HFS+ and wrote Image to that drive. I know it's a good idea to save the USB Flash Installer, at least that's what I've kind of gathered. Thing is, I used my external 500gb drive due to convenience, it was also speedier than my other choices. Obviously I don't want to waste this drive to be only for the installer, so what do I do? Right now it's exactly the same as an OS X Install DVD, it's even showing up like that in Finder. So, any tips?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 08:15 PM

You could possibly partition the drive so that 8GB was dedicated to the Leopard install and then keep the other 492gb for yourself.

Black Dell Mini 10v | BIOS A05 | WinXP SP3 l MAC OS X 10.6.7 l 1GB RAM | NetbookInstaller BLAHBLAH | 23" External Display | 28GB External Time Machine HDD |
  (#3) Old
Default 05-28-2010, 02:21 AM

I had the same basic problem and i just wiped out the drive to use as my time machine backup drive (which it was previously also.) Haven't had a problem that needed it again yet.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-28-2010, 03:19 AM

So, if I wipe it, then partition to two drives with one of them being Time Machine, I'll be it'll be just as good as keeping it as the install DVD?
  (#5) Old
Default 05-29-2010, 05:07 AM

I didn't even bother with making two partitions on my external drive. Just go ahead and save to it. Its been working for me for well over a month with no issues. I have used it to save files to, do time machine backups - etc. Plug it in and boot from it - still works perfect as a bootable device with the other files added.
  (#6) Old
Default 05-29-2010, 12:55 PM

I second DivinePower--- the installer will just ignore anything you add to that drive. I loaded my 16 gig flash drive with a bunch of apps in addition to the installer before I set up my mini. So i know that'll work just fine.

btw.. if you have issues with permissions, ie drive is read only, you can change that in the info pane for that drive.

« No Bluetooth | Cheapest Place To Buy 2GB RAM? »