Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Success with 10.6.3, Now What? - 05-26-2010, 02:26 AM

Okay, first off thanks a billion to mechdrew and everyone else here who's done so much work to help others.

Today I installed Snow Leopard onto my Mini 10v w/A06 BIOS using mechdrew's "USB any OS method" since I don't have a Mac. It went perfectly.

I then followed the guide on updating to 10.6.3 using the new netbookinstaller, again, it went perfectly. At first my sound was weird, but when I restarted it everything was okay. My wi-fi, sound, sleep, and pretty much everything else I use seems to be working fine. My question is, and this may sound weird, is how will I know? I'm so comfortable with Windows that I'd know if something was off, but I'm an OSX n00b. Is it just a wait and see if something messes up type thing?

Also, I'm big on AVG and CCleaner on PC, anything like that for OSX? Is it necessary? Again, I know this is weird, it just went so smooth that I have to think something isn't right...HAHA!! For any curious, I'll put my specs below.

Mini 10v A06 BIOS
150gb HDD
1gb RAM
Snow Leopard 10.6 retail upgraded to 10.6.3 using netbookinstaller
USB Legacy BIOS turned off
Bluetooth BIOS disabled
Sleep BIOS disabled
Wi-fi, sleep, sound all working.
I also installed Office 2008 and updated it, it works like a charm. Using Apple Software Update, everything is as uptodate as it can get.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 03:14 AM

Just enjoy your new Hackintosh.

There are anti-virus software titles available for OSX, but depending on who you ask, you either need one or you don't.

I have had my mini 9 running for over a year and I use it daily and have had 0 issues.

Someone else will come along and tell you this is naive, but I don't share files with my Windows machine, so any virus that I might inadvertently infect my Hackintosh with will never make it's way to the PC, and if it did, I am running an anti-virus on the PC anyway.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM

I have pretty much the same configuration you're using. I've been running it for about a month now. There won't be many issues. But, your sound may occasionally drop-- fix it by running the NetbookInstaller app in your applications folder (istall mini 10v extensions, restart when done). Also Wi-Fi hangs on occasion for me (this might actually be my network) but the fix for that is easy, I just toggle airport off and back on, and everything's fine.

I've always been a mac guy. Had them for over 15 years.... never run antivirus software, and have never had any issues of any kind. I imagine one day Macs will be popular enough that people who write viruses will start to pay attention. But I don't think we're quite there yet. In any case, I'm sure there's plenty of options for anti virus protection on a mac, but I dare say most mac users are the wrong people to ask about it, 'cause we just don't bother....

(#4) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, had the sound issue once already. Ran NBI again and was getting kernel panic. Figured out that was due to the iPhone SDK/XCodes I had installed, so I just uninstalled them and now it's all fine. Sound has worked every time since then as well, though from what I've been reading it's sporadic for everyone.

Not gonna worry about antivirus until I hear about needing it. Using Windows forever, I've kinda learned what to stay away from to keep it safe, will just keep doing that. Gotta say, I'm digging this alot. Got my 10v earlier this year for under $200, OSX for $30...can't beat a $230 macbook!
  (#5) Old
Default 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM

Not required, but I do use MacScan occasionally and it does a good job looking for malware and cleaning out tracking cookies. My old Powerbook had been really slowed down a few times over the years and MacScan always brought it back to normal.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

« Updating to 10.6.3 | Can't update to 10.6.3 after hibernation issue fixed »