Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Need help deleting a partition with terminal - 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM

After a bunch of Googling and getting frustrated with Disk Utility - I am hoping someone around here can help me.

I had tried to setup a dual boot of OS X and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I managed to completely screw up the install. It did not work and I had to go back and redo it. However in the mean time I had played with the voodoo power kext that made my system unbootable. I ended up doing a time machine restore to get my 10v to the point it would boot OS X again. The 20 GB partition I created for Ubuntu is now not visible to Disk Utility. If I do a list command in Terminal it does show the partition I want to delete - its the fourth one in what I've pasted below.

What command in Terminal can I use to delete this partition? If I try to resize my current partition that's visible in Disk Uitility it gives me an error about not enough space. I'm assuming that's because of this 20 gb partition that is still there, I just can't get rid of it.

I've figured out what I did wrong with the install so right now - I just need help getting this partition off my HD so I can reclaim all 160 gigs of my hard drive... repartition it to 20 gigs and do my install of Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Thanks in advance!! Again disk0s4 is the one I need to get rid of.

0: GUID_partition_scheme *160.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac Mini HD 139.7 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data 0 B disk0s3
4: EFI 20.0 GB disk0s4
  (#2) Old
Default 05-15-2010, 02:59 AM

According to the man pages I think you need to use the gpt command, the equivalent of fdisk for GUID partitioned disks. However, when I try to use gpt to show the partition table of my disk it complains that the resource is busy. You might need to use your Mac OS X install disk to boot the machine and then use gpt in the Terminal from there.

Dell Mini 10v | N280 | OS X 10.6.3 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HDD | NBI 0.8.4 RC1 | A06
MacBook (13" Aluminium) | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 250 GB HDD
Mac Mini Server | 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.6.3 Server | 4GB RAM | 6TB HDD
PowerBook G4 12" | 1.5GHz PPC G4 | OS X 10.4.11 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HDD

« Audio going missing (occasionally) | installation does not go beyond the gray apple and spinning wheel »