Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default DVD or CD Sharing - 05-11-2010, 10:51 PM

Thought I would start a new thread on this to just make others aware. There are other threads and information available via searching or google on how to set it up.

I have my Macbook Mini (10v) currently sharing the DVD drive on my Windows desktop PC. Its a little slower due to the fact your sharing it over your network but it works either plugged into your ethernet or via your wireless.

Nice little feature for those that are to cheap to spend the $40-50 on a external DVD drive!
  (#2) Old
Default 05-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Could you please clarify what exactly you are sharing: CD/DVD drive with drive specific functionality - eject, burn, read music CD tracks, play DVD media etc. - or files on your CD/DVD disk via Windows file sharing.

Mini 10v, BIOS A06, OS X 10.6.6, Linux-Mint, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
  (#3) Old
Default 05-12-2010, 12:18 AM

I haven't tried to burn and I'd highly doubt its possible.

I haven't tired playing a cd via it but I have already accessed and tried installing something just to see how it works.

I'll go try to play a music file real quick and let you know momentarily.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

This seems to be for install/data purposes only. I tried a movie DVD and a music CD and neither worked. Put in a software CD/DVD and it works perfect.
  (#4) Old
Default 05-12-2010, 02:42 AM

I had the same setup with my 10v running 10.6.3 and an old hp win xp box with a dvd drive. The apple software will not allow copyrighted media to be streamed - so sadly no dvd playback. It has a very restricted function because it was originally designed for the sole purpose of installing software and drivers on a macbook air (which lacks an optical drive). I used it to install office 2008 and it worked great!

« Sleep Okay? | 10V install problem »