Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Video Mirroring - 05-05-2010, 01:59 AM

Hello! I just recently fitted the Dell Mini 10v with Mac OS 10.6.3. Everything has been running smoothly, with the exception of video mirroring, which I know that many people have commented about on this forum.

I am a teacher and would like to use my Mini with a projector with video mirroring. I have read up on how to downgrade the Appleintelframebuffer file and I have done that several times according to the directions on this message board. However, once I do that, programs such as Microsoft Word, iTunes, and other software apps exhibit odd behavior such as the cursor not being able to go over the screen without freezing and skipping.

While this doesn't sound like a big trade off (video mirroring for a minor inconvenience), I need to use Word every day. Has anyone had success with video mirroring using another method that does not affect these applications? Is there an update in the works for correcting video mirroring on this latest update of the NetbookInstaller? I have run extended desktop mode successfully, but it is not the optimal solution.

Thanks for all of the work that everyone has done and your help!
  (#2) Old
Default 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

In my experience, I have never been able to get mirroring to work on a projector or external monitor. What do you need mirroring for specifically? I often give powerpoint presentations with my 10v and just use the extended desktop mode which works wonderfully. Is there a reason this mode won't work for what you are doing?

A tip on setting up extended desktop mode - when you initially plug in a projector or external monitor, the mini will by default want to use mirrored mode which doesn't work (it produces the vertical line mess people often describe in this forum). The key to getting extended desktop to work is downloading this program that automatically switches off mirroring.

How to set it up:

1. Download MirrorDisplays and put the program in the dock or desktop
2. Connect projector/external monitor - screen will switch to the vertical line mess.
3. Click on MirrorDisplays to activate the program - make sure to leave your cursor over the icon before attaching the external display so you can click on it once the screen turns into a mess.
4. The screen will reset once you have run the program and will switch to extended desktop mode in about a second or two.

The good news is that your mini will remember this setting for each display you run it with so you only have to do it once per display. I have tested it on multiple monitors and projectors. After the first time, it always defaults to extended desktop mode in the future on those displays. Good luck!
  (#3) Old
Default 05-05-2010, 05:43 PM

↑I recently used this method to get by the resolution issue when installing Photoshop and Illustrator. Worked just as described.

Mini 10v - SL 10.6.3 - 2GB RAM - A05 BIOS
  (#4) Old
Default 06-10-2010, 12:26 AM

I'm trying to set up my 10v running 10.6.3 to my lcd tv to watch movies and what not. I connect my 10v into the computer via VGA-HDMI and nothing comes on screen. The tv stays blank.... any ideas?

Dell Mini 10v in Obsidian Black :: Mac OS X 10.6.2 :: N280 1.66GHz :: 160GB HD :: 1GB RAM 533MHz :: Dell Wireless1510 802.11 a/g/n :: Bluetooth 2.1 module+EDR :: 6 Cell Battery

« Upgrade BIOS - What are the benefits? | Eject Key »