Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v A smaller boot partition for OS X ? - 04-28-2010, 09:56 PM

Hello everyone

First off, i'm very happy to have joined the community.
I will be purchasing a Mini 10v within a couple days and I plan to install OS 10.6 on it using the netbootmaker method.

I was wondering; once running off the installation iso on the flash drive, once language has been clicked and i launch Disk Utility to partition the 10v's hdd for my install, if perhaps i could create two partitions, one as the boot partition for the actual OS and the second for storage. So when the installer asks where i would like to install Snow Leopard, i choose my smaller boot partition (around 8GB) it will install 10.6 onto that partition and boot on the 10 v with no issues?

This may benefit me when booting the computer as the mini will read only 8gb of data to boot the system instead of the whole disk, resulting in a shorter boot time.

With this idea in mind, would there be any issues?
Also what partition options would i need to apply to each partition ( the boot partition im guessing would be GUID?)

Thanks in advace
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 04-29-2010, 01:21 AM

Not a good idea IMO. It will not significantly speed up boot time and will make life more difficult when installing apps, updating OS X to new versions, etc.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#3) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 02:29 AM

i have an all in one vaio pc set up like this....20 gb partition for osx 20 for windows and one inbetween with the rest for all my storage it is extremly fast when compared to just setting it up in one partition dont know if the 20 gig size would do much on the mini though as you want a decent amt. of space for all the programs and updates you want to put on
  (#4) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the reply guys
I think i'll just stick to the one partition for now and see how it goes

« occasional weird sound pop | No Loader »