Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#31) Old
Default 04-27-2010, 02:37 AM

When I received my 10v a few of months ago I didn't even let XP boot up. I automatically installed Windows 7 Home Premium and ran that for a while. When I upgraded the RAM to 2gb I was quite pleased with the performance compared to the ASUS eeePC I had before.

It wasn't until I found this forum that I was aware that OSX could be run on it. Now, I have no complaints really about Windows 7. Everything prior to that however is a different story. I guess curiosity got the best of me and I ordered OSX to give it a try. What the heck right? $30 loss isn't much if I didn't like it. Plus I was looking into other alternatives besides Windows or Linux anyway.

Well, I am not like a lot of users here. I've never owned a Mac. The only thing I own Apple related is an iPhone. Once I was successful in installing OSX with the wonderful guides found on this forum I was amazed at the overall experience. I spent hours getting familiar with this new product (new to me anyway). I was impressed with the stability as well as the navigation aspects. The overall layout just makes more sense to me.

Through my employer we get a discount with Microsoft Office for Mac where all we pay is shipping (came to less than 10 bucks for the download version) so I ordered that the same day I did the OSX install. After reviewing different programs I went to my local Apple Store and purchased iLife and iWork. iWork makes more sense to me in how I use the "office" aspect so I'm running that now instead of MS Office. Not a replacement by far but it's better suited for my direct needs. Perhaps that will change when the newer version of Office is released later this year.

I love OSX and I haven't looked back, even being a Windows/Linux user since 1995. It's funny because I bought my Wife a 10v as well and she uses Windows 7 Home Premium and she's wanting to use mine more than her own. With OSX, iTunes is faster in backing up my iPhone from a clean install compared to Windows 7, photo collections are so much easier to keep in order (iPhoto is such a great program), my Internet connection is somehow faster. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I have the 30Mbps Verizon Fios and it utilizes the speed much more efficiently than in Windows 7.

Overall, I love my current set-up with OSX. Is it the be all end all OS for everyone? No. But for what I do, it sure as hell is. I'm already looking into getting a Macbook Pro just from this experience alone to handle more heavy duty tasks.

I apologize for the extended post but I can't say enough good things about OSX on a 10v. I love mine.

Mini 10v - Mac OS X 10.6.3 - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD - NBI 0.8.4
  (#32) Old
Default 04-27-2010, 09:33 AM

@astrocreep Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I really appreciate it.
  (#33) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM

This is my first post, so a quick 'hello' wouldn't go amiss I expect!

I'm not new to the hackintosh scene by any means. I installed 10.5 onto my main PC (which runs 1080 HD playback better than my XP install) as well as OS X Tiger (10.4) on my NC6000. This took a lot of work in comparison, editing kexts, setting permissions etc so whilst I achieved it, it took a lot of searching on the web to get there.

I've owned my 10v for a little over a week, which shipped with Windows 7 starter. I intentionally picked it over other options for one main reason: It comfortably runs OS X, so I gave it a few days whilst I waited for my 16GB USB stick to arrive (as well as the 2GB DDR2 RAM I had ordered for it) and really wasn't over-enamored with its performance until Win7. That changed once I installed OS X - it's far more responsive and with the 2GB upgrade, just whizzes along nicely! Installation was a breeze, which is all down to NBI - I've got OS X running on my main PC as a dual boot option and used this to build the USB Stick.

One thing to remember is keeping in mind why you purchased a netbook over a laptop: It was probably for non-gaming/SD Video/ etc as the GPU is nowhere near powerful enough to do high-end things. This is where OS X is far better suited to the 10v than Win 7 (which has its own 'dock' appear on screen alá OS X but greatly inferior!).

It runs like it was MEANT to be installed to begin with. I too have changed my trackpad settings in line with modelsown's recommendations and have found it to be a vast improvement.

My missus isn't too familiar with OS X but even she's finding it far nicer to use. She's no technophobe by any standards, but has been a lifelong Windows user

I would recommend buying a 10v, wiping the HDD and installing OS X as soon as you are able to. It's possibly the easiest hackintosh installation out there and you will NOT be disappointed in the performance.
  (#34) Old
Default 04-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Where did you purchase your 2gb card? I'm considering it but I see prices in the $50-$70 range and I was hoping for more like $30....

Dell Mini 10v in Obsidian Black :: Mac OS X 10.6.2 :: N280 1.66GHz :: 160GB HD :: 1GB RAM 533MHz :: Dell Wireless1510 802.11 a/g/n :: Bluetooth 2.1 module+EDR :: 6 Cell Battery
  (#35) Old
Default 05-08-2010, 10:20 AM

I am having a go, but running into a roadblock:
Kernel Panic On Install of OSX SL on Mini 10v

Will try a few different approaches this weekend, then it's back to the Macbook Pro, unfortunately. I don't have the time to try every possible combination.

Thanks in advance.
  (#36) Old
Default 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Since installing OSX on my 10v netbook, I have put away my Dell Studio 16 and use this exclusively. I actually found another 10v on Craigslist for $190 and bought it immediately. I will be putting 10.5.8 on that and giving it to my daughter for her birthday.

As i type this my Win 7 computer is locked up...have not had that happen in over a week with the 10v and OSX.

Mini 10v; 2gb RAM, 160gb HD, 10.6.3 using 0.8.4 RC1, 1510 a/b/g/n flashed to Airport Extreme, BT card.
  (#37) Old
Default 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by slinberg View Post
I sold my macbook pro after getting my hackintosh set up.

Sure, it's a little rough around the edges in parts; I have to remember to unplug the USB keyboard before sleeping it or it won't wake (leaving the monitor attached is OK though).

The bottom line is, it is a $300 mac that works just fine. It's my mobile email/web/ssh/vpn machine. It's awesome. I love it.
All is well here......

.....turn off your USB legacy support in the Bios, I use a USB mouse and after doing that it sleeps fine, don't have to unplug

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#38) Old
Default 05-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Wow, I've been gone for a very long time... good to be back!

To put it short, I purchased my Mini 10v last Summer, the end of August to be precise. I had to go through several installs to get one that didn't kernel panic, and even then it wasn't perfect. Audio didn't work from the speakers at first after sleep, it would (and sometimes still does) hang when waking from sleep, an occasional kernel panic would occur on startup, and the trackpad drivers were absolutely atrocious.

Then, meklort came and released the latest version of NBI.

As soon as I finished the install, the system worked like a charm. Sound worked 24/7, kernel panics were eradicated, and the TRACKPAD OMG IT IS BEAUTIFUL TWO FINGER SCROLLING. It basically works almost as well as the real Mac that I'm typing this post on (keyboard is one of its few caveats... but isn't that true for everyone?).

Macbook (April 2008) | Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB 5400rpm HD | OS X 10.7.3

Dell Mini 10v (August 2009) | Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz | 2 GB RAM | 120 GB 5400rpm HD | OS X 10.6.8 (borked) / Windows 8 Consumer Preview

GA-X58-USB3 (January 2011) | Intel i7-950 3.2 GHz (OC'd) | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB 7200rpm HD / 120 GB 5400rpm HD | Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 8 Consumer Preview / OS X 10.7.2
  (#39) Old
Default 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM

Thank You TheAPPLFreak for you reply. Even I do love my new mac.

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

At least it does not crash. @TheAPPLFreak Did you buy iLife for your mac or not?

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X Snow Leopard | 250GB hard drive | 1GB RAM and I love it!!!!
Snow Leopard makes my Intel Atom feel like an i7!
  (#40) Old
Default 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Slothtyper View Post
.....turn off your USB legacy support in the Bios, I use a USB mouse and after doing that it sleeps fine, don't have to unplug
Aha! It works. Thanks!

Now all I need is a cheap 2gb chip

« 10V Ncard wireless network issue | Confused: NBI and NBBM »