Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default dooohhh. friend installed software update... - 04-16-2010, 12:41 PM

OK, so in spite of my warning a "friend" not to do the update, she did it, and the 10v is back with me, stuck in a loop. it does the countdown of the blue bar, but then goes back to the dell startup screen (note to self: do NOT do these kind of favors for friends)

I burned a copy of the netbookmaker CD on a DVD (that is the only blank I had around).

the 10v will not boot from it. (tried setting to cd/dvd drive in both f2 and f12; tried different usb plugs, tried restarting with the drive plugged in...)

so, how do I make the bootable flash drive again?

I copied down the netbookmaker 0.8.4 and 0.8.3, but I am on a G4 titanium, so 0.8.4 is not supported

with my verbatim 4gb flash drive in plugged in, if I launch 0.8.3 on my G4 Ti, it is not seen as an option to make it bootable. only my internal drive is in the menu (which is definitely not the goal here)

I recall that I pulled out the OQO to use to make a bootable flash drive the first go round.

can someone tell me how to do that again?

I am soo p.o.'d... why can't people follow directions?

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

got it working.

I had "usb legacy support" off, so both the dvd drive and usb flash were not booting.

now, if I recall correctly, I want that OFF usually?

p.s. I did use syslinux to make a bootable flash drive, but the netbookmaker and installer didn't boot (suppose they're not made for that)... went back to dvd with "legacy" ON and it worked.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Legacy USB off is needed to get sleep to work right in OS X. As you found, it needs to be on if you want to boot from USB.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 04-17-2010, 03:14 AM

for future problems, how do I get the flash drive bootable with NBI or NBM?

syslinux brought up the "boot" command. what is the command to launch netbookinstaller or maker from there?

« Sudden loss of desktop icons? | SL 10.6.3 April 14 2010 supplement Update »