Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default 13" MacBook to a Dell Mini 10v - 04-14-2010, 05:37 AM

Right now I own a 13" White Macbook. 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb Ram and 150 Gb of hdd. I have wanted a netbook for a really long time because I love the size of them but have been too in love with OS X to go get one. Right now I dont really like how big my macbook is and I want something smaller and even more portable. I then found that the Dell Mini 10v seems to run OS X pretty much flawlessly (with a tiny bit of work, i know). This is is no problem for me since I am pretty tech savy. My main question is. What do you guys think about me selling my MacBook and going to a Dell Mini 10v?
  (#2) Old
Default 04-14-2010, 05:57 AM

I have a 2008 13" Aluminium MacBook and a 10v so I'm pretty well placed to answer your question. In short, I would not give up my MacBook in favour of the 10v, the experience is totally different.

The 10v is a cheap netbook and you get what you pay for. This is not a criticism of the 10v or netbooks in general. Netbooks are built to a price and do an excellent job at that price point. However, the 1.66GHz Atom processor is nowhere near as fast as your 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo. Although the screen is only 3" smaller, that is a significant difference in screen real estate (and some application windows have to be scaled to fit). The trackpad is nowhere near as good as the pad in the genuine Mac.

I got the 10v as there are places I wanted to take my MacBook (camping, beach, travelling etc) but felt the risk of damage/theft was too great. I am prepared to take the risk with the 10v given the much lower replacement cost. For me the two serve different purposes, I use my MacBook at home and work and I use the 10v for travel etc.

By having both I have options when I leave the house and I choose based on the risk (will I have to leave it locked in my car etc). Swapping the MacBook for a 10v is most definitely a significant downgrade.

I would suggest if you are considering switching that you get the 10v and try it for a while before you sell your MacBook. Obviously your mileage may vary and the 10v might be fine for all of your needs.

Dell Mini 10v | N280 | OS X 10.6.3 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HDD | NBI 0.8.4 RC1 | A06
MacBook (13" Aluminium) | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 250 GB HDD
Mac Mini Server | 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo | OS X 10.6.3 Server | 4GB RAM | 6TB HDD
PowerBook G4 12" | 1.5GHz PPC G4 | OS X 10.4.11 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HDD
  (#3) Old
Default 04-14-2010, 08:43 AM

I have the exact same macbook and after I got my 10v, I don't use the macbook anymore. I only keep it for running Traktor when I DJ, the 10v doesn't have enough power for that. but everything else I used the macbook for: surfing, watching movies, chatting, reading e-mails and editing photos in lightroom, I now use my 10v and it works pretty much the same.
  (#4) Old
Default 04-14-2010, 11:48 AM

I agree with. scytale... it's an alternative, not a replacement. I have an iMac, a Macbook, a 10v, a touch and an HTC Hero and they all have their uses and distinct advantages.

The screen is much smaller than the Macbook, as are the controls, and the processor much weaker. These are benefits or disadvantages, depending on the situation.

Dell Mini 10v Hackintosh | 2gb RAM | 500gb HDD | Trackpad mod
Running Linux UNR after being beaten by "Still Waiting for Root Device" Error
Dropbox: Click >>HERE<< for free 2.25gb of file sync/sharing/storage.
  (#5) Old
Default 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM

I agree with the sentiment in the other posts. I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, a 10v and a Mini 9. I find that when I am going to ride my bike somewhere, the Mini 9 and the 10v are both cheap and small enough to throw in a backpack.

The 10v is a fine netbook, but it is not a substitute for your #1 laptop. It does not run things like video well. It has a friendlier keyboard than does the Mini 9, but I would not want to type a novel on it. The trackpad is cheap (but for what it is and what it costs, it is fine for me).

I would echo the advice and look into a 10v, build it up fairly cheaply and then see if you don't miss the capabilities of the macbook.

Dell Mini 9 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB Super Talent SSD | 1.3 MP Webcam | BIOS A05 | Mac OS X 10.6.1 |

Dell Mini 10v

« Mini 10v Install & Update of 10.6 to 10.6.3 | HELP? strangeness: beepbeepbeep on startup, slowmotion windows, keyboard freaking out »