Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default It works, Now What? - 04-14-2010, 02:41 AM

What a great forum, and a way to make my first experience, and first mac, awesome.

First, some background. I used mechdrew's guide, using an external dvd writer and Snow Leopard 10.6. I went to apple and did the combo update to 10.6.2. Still no problems.

Through searches, I found the fix for my audio problem (run the extras app!).

My next questions:
1) What's the best way to make a backup of what I've got. I'm new to mac in general, not just the hackintosh.
2) What's next? Should I install 10.6.3? Everything works in 10.6.2.
3) As far as I know, I am still using the .8.3 ISO that mechdrew had posted of NetbootmakerCD. (sorry for incorrect terms) Should I update to the latest NBI?

That's all I can think of for now, but seriously, without this forum and the step by step guides, never would have attempted this!

Dell Mini10v Bios A06 / SL 10.6.2---It just works!
  (#2) Old
Default 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM

i agree everything works fine for me in 10.6.2 is it worth it to upgrade?
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 04-15-2010, 04:08 AM

I would wait until some of the kinks are worked out between NBI 0.8.4RC1 and 10.6.3 before updating. Hopefully RC2 will address some of the issues. Remember, you MUST upgrade NBI to 0.8.4 before updating to 10.6.3!

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#4) Old
Default 04-15-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
What's the best way to make a backup of what I've got.
congrats on the successful hackintosh, this is my first exposure to osx as well. this thread was fairly helpful when i hackintoshed my mini a month or two ago.

What are the "must have" applications for OS X?

also i'd poke around the forums, there are several threads that will help make your track-pad MUCH more usable, two-finger scroll, two-finger right-click, etc.

oh and osx has a built-in back up feature called "time machine" that's freakishly easy to use.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram
  (#5) Old
Default 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

"1) What's the best way to make a backup of what I've got. I'm new to mac in general, not just the hackintosh."

I'm new to the Mini 10v myself (just installed 10.6.3 on one for my sister, who's never had a computer before. Installation was problem-free, everything seems to work from the get-go).

I'm not sure if there are any "issues" as to backing up the internal drive on a Mac'ed Mini 10v, but here's what I'd suggest:

- Download CarbonCopyCloner (free).
- CCC is very easy to understand and set up.
- You will need an external USB drive to "clone to". I'm _guessing_ it could be done with a larger-capacity flashdrive, but most users will have more than a flashdrive can hold. In that case, use an external USB hard drive.
- Use CCC to do a "full clone" of the internal drive to the external drive (or even a partition on the external drive)

As for "bootability", that often seems to depend on the controller/hardware in the USB enclosure.

To boot from the external, I believe that you can do this (others please correct where I've made a mistake):

- Plug in external drive
- I'm not sure if OS X's "Startup disk" preference pane is usable (it wasn't when I tried to reboot to my original Snow Leopard USB flashdrive).
- Instead, reboot the Mini and hold down the "one-time boot" key (F12 on the 10v) as soon as the Dell logo screen appears.
- 10v will "beep" at you, and then should display a list of bootable volumes. When I tried to boot from the flashdrive, the flashdrive showed up here. The screen looks somewhat similar to the "startup manager" screen displayed on a "real Mac" when you hold down the "option" key at boot time.
- Select the volume (in this case, you will want to select the external drive), and continue.
- The Mini _should_ boot from the external. NOTE: I haven't tried booting from an externally-cloned drive yet, only from the original Snow Leopard install DVD that had been installed on a flashdrive using Netbook Maker. But that worked fine. I'm guessing that an external clone of the internal hard drive will work as well.

Once booted, you can use Disk Utility to do a "verify/repair" of the internal drive, and do other maintence-related things that normally can't be done from a Mac OS boot volume....

« OSX Install Issue | My 10v freezes and no audio? Help please. »