Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default set graphics for external monitor manually? - 04-12-2010, 09:09 PM

I have a 10v running 10.6.3.

I've been trying to get the external monitor vga to work with an HP LP2065 panel. This is a 20.1 1600x1200 60hz native monitor.

The HP monitor has 2 "DVI-I" ports. This means that the monitor can support two inputs, and the inputs can be either DVI or VGA. The monitor comes with a "VGA" cable that has a DVI-like connector on the monitor end.

When I plug the Dell 10v (running 10.6.3) I get no video; detect-displays in SL does nothing.

If I plug a VGA PC (windows XP) into the same cable, it works.

If I plug the Dell into either the TV panel (42" sony") VGA that works (I get an extended desktop). Likewise, if I plug the Dell into a (well) "Dell" 1600x1200 monitor that has a real VGA port, that works also (extended desktop).

So it seems that the Dell works, and the HP panel works, but the two dont play together well.

So I suspect OSX is not "seeing" the monitor on the DVI-I "vga" cable.

If there was a way to force OSX to use the second output, then I suspect it would work.

Is there a way (e.g. command line) to "manually" set the graphics settings for the external monitor port?

« Imma noob! help me out! MAC SL Kernel Panic A04 | ssd upgrade question »