Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Kernel-mismatch cpu - 04-07-2010, 09:40 AM

I followed Mechdrew's guide for 2 USB no mac on my refurbished Mini 10v from Dell with Bios A06. I'm also using NBI_083F dd Image. In his guide he has these instructions:

1. When installation is complete, close NetbookInstaller and any other programs you may have open and save all work (if necessary).
Updating the OS
  1. Install the OS Update:
    • 10.5 Leopard: You need to open the 10.5.8 Combo Update package from a USB drive or downloaded it directly to your netbook, DO NOT use Software Update.
    • Press Continue three times, and then press Agree.
    • Press Install, enter your password, and then press "Continue Installion.
    • 10.6 Snow Leopard: Try using Software Update (accessible from the Apple icon in the Menu Bar) first to update to 10.6.2. If that does not work correctly you should use the 10.6.2 Combo Update linked at the top of the guide.
    • Press any agree button and Install buttons necessary. You will probably be warned that a Restart is necessary, that is just fine.
    After installation is finished, press the Restart button (if necessary.)
  2. You should now let your netbook startup from the internal HDD/SSD. Leopard only: At the grey screen with the progress bar, press any key before the progress bar runs out. Type "-x" so that is looks like "boot: -x" in the bottom-left corner. If successful, it should boot into Mac OS X Safe Mode. Enter your password to login. Do not do this for 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    Getting a mach_kernel error after restart?
---

The way I read it is to install NBI which I did as instructed and after installing it to update the system and reinstall NBI? Is this correct? no where after the first install do I see restart the system? Just want to make sure I'm reading and following the directions to the "T". The problem is after installing NBI as instructed I then run a system update get to a 'restart' and when I restart I get this error message:

"panic kernel mis-match doesn't match CPU"

From what I researched everyone says you need to run NBI again but I can't boot into it in -x or any other mode I just get the above error message. Am I supposed to restart before the system update and then do a system update and run NBI again?

Sorry thought I was following the directions and if that's not the problem what is? OSX installs and runs on my mini10v just when I apply the update it doesn't seem to work anymore. Or, I don't know if it really worked haven't rebooted after the first install as I wasn't instructed to do that just went straight to system update.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Ok I reinstalled OSX from image fine and got to the point before I update. I'm actually typing this post on my new Apple netbook And I am quite happy. Unlike before I did the install got to the point and just restarted my Mini and it booted fine into OSX.

I am now running, according to the About dialog, OSX 10.6 I would like to upgrade it via the software update. Am I safe doing this? Sorry it doesn't exactly install quickly and I would like to not have to try and reinstall the OS again Really nice OS and computer getting it to run on the mini.

Thanks to the mechdrew guide. Also running the NFI he has on the link on his page. Please let me know if I'm good to software update or if there is a safer route I can take to prevent a reinstall.

One of the problems I had was my DVD install image. Once I used transmac to create the DMG and then format/copy DMG to USB stick the image worked fine and the install went well.
  (#2) Old

Default 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Ah I see that in the downloads section for Mechrew's guide is a download for NBI 0.8.4 let me try that this weekend and see if it goes. With my install just recently maybe I'm going from 10.6 to 10.6.3? Hopefully that one works to update my system.
  (#3) Old

Default 04-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Ok finally patched up to 10.6.3. The problem all along has been me following Mechdrew's OSX 2 USB guide. In now way am I saying I'm not appreciative, and the guide is not good. It's a great guide and I don't think I would have my hackintosh now if not for the guide. What I'm saying is that after you follow the instructions at top and click on the 'Installation' link. No where does it say upgrade to the new version of the NETBOOK installer.

I think the guide was written when the combined upgrade in software update was for 10.6.2 but when I click on it now I get 10.6.3. If after getting the initial install from your Mac OSX retail disk you download and install NBI .084RC1 you'll be fine! But all in all great guide and I'm thankful for the work he put in.

Enjoy your hackintosh, everyone!
  (#4) Old

Default 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM

Do you have an updated guide or instructions? I'd appreciate it. I installed OSX on my Mini10V and after the update I got that same "version mis-match between kernel and cpu" message on restart. It immediately pops up "Please restart your mac", and I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.
  (#5) Old

Default 05-07-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Do you have an updated guide or instructions? I'd appreciate it. I installed OSX on my Mini10V and after the update I got that same "version mis-match between kernel and cpu" message on restart. It immediately pops up "Please restart your mac", and I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.
Are you updating to 10.6.3?
If so, the only way I could get it to boot was with the 10.6.2 version of the kernel...Replace the one on the root of your OS installation. Available here: mach_kernel_10.2.0_patched.zip
Let me know if this works for you.

~James
  (#6) Old

Default 05-12-2010, 03:38 AM

I think I'm running 0.8.2; haven't updated in a while. Anyway, my daughter just updated the system using Software Update to 10.6.3, and now I get the kernel mis-match panic. I don't have my original USB install stick (although I could make one again). What process should I go through to fix this? I really don't want to reinstall, as there's lots of stuff on the computer. Can I build a new NBI stick, boot with it and somehow repair my installation?

Thanks in advance.
  (#7) Old

Default 05-14-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amasih View Post
I think I'm running 0.8.2; haven't updated in a while. Anyway, my daughter just updated the system using Software Update to 10.6.3, and now I get the kernel mis-match panic. I don't have my original USB install stick (although I could make one again). What process should I go through to fix this? I really don't want to reinstall, as there's lots of stuff on the computer. Can I build a new NBI stick, boot with it and somehow repair my installation?

Thanks in advance.
Hmm, if you have a Mac you could create another NBM stick then install NBI to your internal hard drive via the utilities menu. Yes, you have to have 8.4 to run 10.6.3. (As you now know, )

[  MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB HDD | NVidia 320M 256MB SDRAM 
Dell Mini 9 <I don't own this anymore> | BIOS: A06 | SL 10.6.3 retail DVD | 1GB RAM | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BT: √ (Tetany's BT Terminal Mod) |
Audio: √ (Akki's Mini 9 Sound and Mic Fix bundle) | Legacy USB: Off | Sleep: √ | Method: My compiled method | Easier method ]
  (#8) Old

Default 12-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbarnhill View Post
Are you updating to 10.6.3?
If so, the only way I could get it to boot was with the 10.6.2 version of the kernel...Replace the one on the root of your OS installation. Available here:
Let me know if this works for you.

~James
Sorry for bumping an old thread...With the new mach_kernel do I burn it to a CD or something? I didn't use a flash drive at all to hackintosh my mini.
  (#9) Old

Default 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM

You just need this guide: NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew
and a retail copy of SL, and a couple of USB disks.

You don't need Leopard on your 10v to start with, and with the exception of 10.6.8 you don't need a patched mach_kernel.
  (#10) Old

Default 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM

I used this guide. NetbookInstaller 3: Installation via External DVD Drive using NetbookCD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

I'll read through the other one and see what I get from that.

« Am I confused, or is my 10v not hibernating correctly? | iTunes 10.5 with OSX 10.6 »