Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default My experience hackintoshing a 10v - 03-27-2010, 07:29 AM

I used Mechdrew's NBI 2 guide for this one. I used 2 SanDisk Cruzer Micro flash drives (2 GB and 16 GB)

So I get the NBI 0.8.3 on the 2GB drive and the Mac image on the 16GB drive. I boot up the Mini 10v and 20 seconds into the installation I get an error saying it was unable to copy support files and I need to restart and try again. So I restart and I get the dreaded mach_kernel error. My heart sank! lol...

So after searching online for nearly forever and a day, I put GParted on a flash drive and booted it on the 10v. I couldn't find the HFS+ option for the partition so I put it as msdos, figuring that's what the hard drive was in the first place so what's the difference?

So then I had to figure out why it didn't install properly. Turns out, of course, it was a bad image. So this time, I used TransMac to rip the image from the OSX retail DVD. Then I had to edit the computer's registry to let me write to the 16GB drive (which I also did through TransMac).

So I go for try #2, and everything worked just perfectly! Sound, wifi, everything! I am actually writing this post from my new Hackintosh!

Summary and other tips
-16GB flash drive is fine (I read a thread where users came to the conclusion where a 16GB will not work)
-Do not use ImgBurn, use TransMac to rip from the retail DVD (and a .dmg file worked fine for me)
-Use GParted on a USB drive to fix your mach_kernel issues (I set the HDD to msdos and it worked fine)
-Drag NBI to the Mac desktop in order to "unzip" it

Other than that, just follow Mechdrew's guide and you should be fine
  (#2) Old
Default 03-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Wow, I had like 98% the same experience as you did an hour ago!

Only differences for me:
I used Cruzer Micro 4gb and 8gb drives (It's all I had!)
I told GParted to reformat to NTFS
No registry edited needed for me through TransMac.

I have to give TransMac credit here, it really made all the difference.
  (#3) Old
Default This! - 04-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Same thing here. Failed using imgwriter, dd, using any of three or four applications to make an .iso image.

I'd heard of Transmac but didn't know what it would entail. I went looking for a guide for Transmac, but didn't need one.

So with a 8GB Cruzer for the OS DVD and a freebie 1GB Dell for the NBI.

Transmac is the solution for the Kernal Panic on installation

Dell Mini 10V - Obsidian Black - 2GB - 40GB Intel SSD - Bluetooth 2.1 - Razer Pro|Solutions Mouse
Current OS: Windows 7 Professional

dell, frustration, gparted, hackintosh, mach_kernel

« A graphics puzzle: hardware or software? | is there an app to make my screen 1024x780 »