Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default 10v powers down during install - 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Well I believed the Snow-Leopard-on-10v-is-easy-just-follow-these-steps hype and bought one (10v no bluetooth) and a retail Snow Leopard, 8Gb USB stick etc.

Followed the procedure (I am a software engineer so know a bit about these things and carefully following the instructions) but all I get is the 10v powering itself off at various points of the install after 2+ days of trying to get this to work I am about to give up and write it off as an expensive mistake.
Tried with original A06 BIOS, now A04 BIOS. NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 (0.8.4 crashes on Mac OS 10.5.8 (!) so no use until I upgrade that Mac). Tried various BIOS changes.

If anyone has had and solved this then I'd be really grateful in knowing how. Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-24-2010, 06:15 PM

At what point does it power off? Are you sure it was really off and the screen not just blank or off? How long did you wait to see if it came back on?

What guide did you use?
  (#3) Old
Default 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM

How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v Into the Ultimate Snow Leopard Netbook - Dell mini 10v hackintosh - Gizmodo

Yes - the power light is off so it's definitely powered right off.

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

It powers of at various times during the install. Either after the Apple logo appears or when the plain grey screen appears or after the language selection when the blue screen (ironic) appears. Once i got an install failure dialog but couldn't click anything to read the log!

Yesterday I had the drive partition selection GUI come up but not seem that at all today.
  (#4) Old
Default Try out this guide. It is newer that the Gizmodo guide - 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM

Mini 10v Triple Boot, OS-X 10.6.3, Windows 7 Starter, Ubuntu Netbook Remix

If it's not broke, take it apart and see how it works
  (#5) Old
Default 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the pointers - appreciated.

Anyway, good news - I appear to have got it up and running!

What I did was:

1) Delete the partition on the Dell. I assume this was corrupted and probably a likely culprit. (Did this by running the first part of the Windows XP installer).

2) Upgraded my Mac to 10.6 then I could run BootMaker 0.8.4 rather than 0.8.3 (0.8.4 doesn't appear to run on 10.5.8).

Then went through the process again! Hope that helps anyone who has problems.

« the Acer1/Dell Mini Calibration is poor for the 10v... | OSX Unsuccessful Install »