Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default My Mini is Lagging Badly - 03-17-2010, 08:05 PM

Lately, my Mini has been slower than usual. This started 2 days ago and the first thing I did was restart it which didn't help... Mostly its just browsing the internet (its not my router or anything, because someone else I know has this same hackintosh and theirs works perfectly) and scrolling (very jerky with 2 finger, thats the only part). Watching local videos,browsing iTunes, etc. all work well. Thanks, all.
PS: I went to Activity Monitor and took a picture. Thats with Google Chrome running (one tab in LifeHacker and another was just tips on how to speed up a mac, no CPU intensive videos). Nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2010-03-17 at 3.56.56 PM.png  

Obsidian black Mini 10v 2gb RAM 160gb HDD running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
  (#2) Old
Default 03-18-2010, 02:24 AM

yeah your finder app is going crazy..

take a sample see what info that gives you.

try a repair permissions and soon, the heat your CPU must be generating will damage your mini pretty soon?

you've also got around 5 chrome helper apps running, that's probably what's freaking out finder.

so far from lagging your mini is over working..

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#3) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 01:55 AM

So Chrome Helper was making Finder use more? I thought they were more independent. That makes more sense . Forgive me for sounding stupid, but what is Chrome Helper? I was under the impression that all Chrome related processes were sort of bundled into Chrome. Right now, for example, I have 6 "Chrome Helper" windows open and in Chrome are two tabs, nothing else.

Obsidian black Mini 10v 2gb RAM 160gb HDD running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
  (#4) Old
Default 03-20-2010, 03:10 PM

You might have a couple of things going on.

First, yes, the Chrome processes could be dragging the box down. At minimum, you'll have two Chrome processes: one for the browser, one for the helper. Depending on how Chrome is invoked (not sure what the default is), you can have at minimum a Chrome process per tab. And if the tab has Flash, that's another process, ditto Java, etc. So, just a couple of tabs open in Chrome can spawn a lot of processes. Add in if you're trying to watch a relatively HD YouTube video or Hulu, that too will drag the box down on top of everything else.

Second, it could be how you have Finder configured. Bring up a Finder window, then click on the "gear"/settings button at the top of the window and select "Show View Options". Make sure "Calculate All Sizes" is not checked. If checked, uncheck, click on the button on the bottom labeled "Use as defaults". Oh, and I believe this can only be done when in List view.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB | 16GB STEC | .3Mp | No BT |
BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI .8.4 RC1.1 (20100616212351)
Sleep: Working | Speakers: Working | Headphone Jack: Working

« When do you remove the USB drive after install? | Can I install SL from external DVD? »