Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Webcam stopped working - 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM

First of all i want to say how much i appreciate this forum. It has been very helpful in my Dell mini OSX experience.

This is my problem:

Suddenly the integrated webcam stopped working. Both Skype and Photobooth says there is no webcam connected. A couple of hours earlier i got a message telling me the computer had stalled and i had to reboot. I don't know if this has anything to do with the webcam not working but i thought i should mention it.

I've searched the forum for a solution and so far i have tried running NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 so that the drivers would be reinstalled. That didn't make a difference. Then i tried running the older NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC5 but that also had no effect.

I'm using a Dell mini 10v
Snow leopard 10.6.2

(#2) Old
Default 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Could be a hardware issue. The webcam stopped on my mini9 a while ago. I booted up Ubuntu and it didn't work with that either, so I guessed it wasn't an OSX issue.

Looked around the forums a bit and apparently there can be a lot of tension on the cable from the webcam to the motherboard (through the hinge on the screen) and that can pull out the connection for the webcam.

Haven't had a chance to take my dell apart and try to fix it yet.

Of course, your issue may be nothing like that. But you could try asking in the general (non-OSX) part of the forum to see if anyone can give you any pointers on how to tell if it's a hardware issue.

Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.5.8 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | BIOS A05 | 16GB STEC SSD
  (#3) Old
Default 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

This happened to me once after I was playing around with the function keys. The only thing that fixed it was reinstalling windows. After i reinstalled SL it has been fine since. I am guessing it is an issue similar to the disabled wifi same users experience. At the time I assumed i'd accidentally disabled it through one of the function keys but to this day i am still uncertain.

« new mini 10v NBM 0.8.3 or 0.8.4? | what software inside ur os x? »