Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default Pulling my hair out over dual-boot with Win7 - 03-10-2010, 09:56 PM

I've been trying to do this off and on for a couple of weeks now to no success. Any suggestions?

I started by installing MacOS Snow Leopard on my 10v and partitioning three partitions during the install
MacOS (20GB, HFS+)
Windows (20GB, FAT)
Data (the rest, HFS+ but I will change this to NTFS at some point)

Everything worked, and I had a fully functioning 10.6.2 snow leopard system.

then I used a USB stick to install Windows 7 on the Windows partition. Converted it to NTFS, installed and then had a fully functioning Windows system

Then I went back and used my Snow Leopard USB stick and re-ran NetbookInstaller to re-activate the Mac booting

When I finished this, the Windows system won't boot. Black-screen, file not found (can't remember the exact error)

Followed otehr guides, put in Win7 USB stick, go into Diskpart, select Windows partition, make it active and then repair.

This is where it gets weird. It appears that the repair does its magic not on the on-disk Windows partition but it "repairs" the USB stick. The results are that I still can't boot the Windows partition using Chameleon (same error) but when I put the USB stick in, it will boot my Windows partition so that I have a functioning Windows 7 system.

Any pointers or suggestions as to where to go now? I'm back to running MacOS, since that's my day-in-day-out system. But I can't boot the Win7 partition (which I can see from MacOS) ....

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Should be much easier when the next version of NBI comes out within the next few days. Currently, NBI breaks the Windows installation... but the next version uses a modified fdisk so that it will not overwrite files that Windows uses.

Everything should be able to get installed and boot via Chameleon (make sure you are following partition structures that others have followed -- most people do partition 1 as Windows and partition 2 as OSX)

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 03-11-2010, 01:01 AM

Before you do the repair, you must remove the USB drive or, as you indicated, it will some times "repair" the USB drive. Remove the drive after you click repair the first time but before you click again to confirm. If you find yourself now unable to boot into the installer using your USB drive, you need to use another PC to access the USB drive and rename the BCD.backup.001 file in the "\boot" folder to just "BCD" (deleting the existing "BCD" file).

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#4) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 03-11-2010, 05:50 AM

Thank you! that worked...

Now have a completely working Snow Leopard/Windows 7 Home Premium system

(#5) Old
Default 03-12-2010, 02:25 AM

So you just install Windows and everything will be fine?

Dell Mini 10v / OS X 10.6.6 / NBI 8.5 / 160 GB HDD / 1 GB RAM / A05

« weird install problem - no screen | trackpad doesnt work and restart loop »