Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Constant Pinwheel in Firefox on Snow Leopard Slow Performance Browser Display Issues - 03-02-2010, 01:19 AM

I have about 7 tabs open in Firefox on Snow Leopard on my Dell Mini 10V. About every 10 or 20 seconds it goes to pinwheel for about 5 seconds. If I just keep clicking between tabs, it will go to pinwheel as well.

I do not have any slow performance like this with Safari. I can have 15 tabs open in safari, be using photoshop, and other applications with no problems.

I downloaded Chrome and it went very slow and seemingly had the same pinwheel problem.

I have a mini 10v with 2GB ram installed and 160GB HD

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I would much prefer to use Firefox, but safari is the only browser I can get to run smoothly.

I am also having formatting issues in all the browsers. There is certain text on certain websites that either does not display (in Firefox) or displays replaced by a symbol of a box around a capital A (Safari). I have included screenshots of both while viewing Does anyone know why certain text would not be displaying correctly? This also happens on certain posts on MyDellMini, which is why I have to use a second computer just to post this now.

Thanks guys, you are the best!
Attached Thumbnails
screenshot_correct.JPG   Screen shot 2010-03-01 at 6.27.43 PM.png   Web Hosting, Domain Name Registration - Affordable Web Hosting and Domain Name Search_1267489858.png  
  (#2) Old
Default Problem solved!!! - 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM

I did a bunch of research and figured out that the font display problems are directly related to messed up fonts from Installing Microsoft Office for Mac. Apparently there have been some big problems. I went into Fontbook and there were a bunch of yellow triangles next to fonts. It told me there were duplicates of these fonts, So I clicked Resolve Duplicates. Using Firefox and the Firebug add on i had determined that the fonts that weren't displaying correctly were of either Tahoma, Arial, or Helvetica font families (as the CSS files for the affected websites listed these as the font families). So I scrolled down through my fonts looking for a font that displayed that goofy Capital A in a box that was being substituted in Safari for the correct font. Well I found out it was Tahoma, as that funky A showed up where Tahoma should be. I disabled the Tahoma Normal font and went back into Safari and everything works. So Microsoft Office is to blame, and disabling Tahoma (or any other messed up fonts) is the fix. This also appears to have solved my Firefox Pinwheel problem! Now Firefox works smoothly!

(#3) Old
Default 03-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Seems like the number one issue with pin wheels in the browsers is Flash. I disabled the flash plugin and things got right snappy. Have not seen a pin wheel since.

Mini 10v Triple Boot, OS-X 10.6.3, Windows 7 Starter, Ubuntu Netbook Remix

If it's not broke, take it apart and see how it works

browser, display, firefox, slow, snow leopard

« Sold my AA1 now have Flawless Mini 10v | NO ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT!!! Please help!!! »