Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Question Bad RAM, Hulu & Performance - 02-25-2010, 10:13 PM

I upgraded my RAM to 2gb this weekend, shortly after getting my Mini 10v, and installing OSX on it. I didn't do a whole lot of base testing prior to the installation and didn't try Hulu at all.

The other day, I was trying to test performance for Hulu specifically and it skipped, froze etc - basically unwatchable. Upgraded to Flash 10.1 beta, and got a little better performance but nothing watchable.

Last night, just to give it one more shot I tried hulu again, and everything streamed flawlessly - nothings really changed on the computer though! Then this morning, it streamed for a few minutes great and back to choppy crap.

I've heard mixed things about the Dell Mini 10v OSX running Hulu on the forums, but I'm a little boggled why its so flaky. I thought perhaps my RAM is bad but read other things that the RAM shouldn't have anything to do with the Flash Player.

So, the simplest way to put my question is: Should I be surprised that Hulu is crap on my Dell Mini 10V, or could there be some hardware/software issues?

Thanks in advance, I'm pretty new to Hackintoshing, so any help is much appreciated.

(#2) Old
Default 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM

I've gotten decent Hulu performance when watching video in the pop-out window with no other programs running and all other browser windows closed. We're using a $250, 1.6ghz Atom powered netbook with a crappy Intel GMA card. How old is that thing, like 8 or 9 years? I think that's why the video is choppy.

refurb 10v | N280 1.66ghz 667mhz | BIOS A06 | 2GB RAM | ditched the thermal pads and applied arctic silver | Snow Leopard/Windows 7 dual boot
  (#3) Old
Default 02-27-2010, 06:17 AM

exactly...these computers are designed for email, light internet browsing and maybe a word processor for poor students. it pretty much can't be your main computer. i had 3-4 year old core duo laptop that crapped out on me a month or two i bought a mini 10v and a quad core desktop for around $800 for both (both for cheaper than a decent laptop). for the price of the mini 10v and it's really can't complain.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram
  (#4) Old
Default 03-02-2010, 05:43 AM

Oh I agree. I knew I wasn't getting a powerful machine by any means. A little surprised it couldn't run Hulu better - had heard mixed things. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have some hardware or software issue.

Thanks for the replies!

dell mini 10v, hulu

« UpdateExtra and KP | Zapping the pram »