Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default help getting started - 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM

Iam in process of getting everything ready for when my dell mini arrives for my hackintosh project. Already having issues with ME figuring out things. Using this guide

NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System
Obviously not everyone has easy access to a Mac. In fact, for many people an OS X-enhanced netbook will be their first experience with Mac OS. It only makes sense then that there be a way for these folks to install Mac OS X just like the rest of us, no matter what operating system they are using.
Okay, so technically not just any operating system, but odds are you are running a modern version of either Windows or Linux, or even Mac OS X Tiger on your main computer. (NetbookBootMaker won't work with Tiger, thus why the typical method isn't an option.) If for some reason you can't use an external DVD drive then this is the guide for you. Please read the appropriate section only, each OS has specific requirements.
About the alternate Windows methods: Some have had better luck with the older versions of this guide, so these are the two most popular versions. If you can't get the primary method to work, try one or both of the alternates.
As a caution, the dd tool used in this guide, if used incorrectly, can cause serious data loss. You have been warned. Windows Minimum Requirements
  • PC with Windows XP, Vista, or 7 and a DVD drive.
  • Retail Mac OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard Install DVD, any version (What is Retail?)
  • Small USB Drive 64 MB or greater (HDD, SSD, flash, etc.) for the bootloader.
    If using a Dell Mini 10v, an SD card will work great, the internal card reader acts like a USB device. (Sorry Mini 9 owners!)
  • Large USB Drive for Mac OS X Installer: 16 GB or greater.
    I highly recommend the Sandisk Cruzer Micro series drives, just make sure to remove the U3 software first!
  • 8 GB (10.5 Leopard) or 16 GB (10.6 Snow Leopard) HDD/SSD or larger, Intel GMA graphics (950 or 500) and Intel Atom processor.
  • RAM: 512 MB (10.5 Leopard) or 1 GB (10.6 Snow Leopard) or greater.
  • Software:
  • Mac OS X Updates:
Pre-Install Checklist
  • Meet Minimum Requirements (above), the specifics DO matter.
  • Download and unzip/decompress (when applicable) all listed software.
  • If this is your first time installing, boot into default operating system on your netbook and check that all hardware, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and camera are functional and turned on (if present).
  • Check your BIOS settings. (more info)
On Windows
  1. Unzip Image Writer to any folder on your computer. (Make sure to extract all the files in the ZIP file.)
  2. Connect the two USB drives to your PC and insert the Mac OS X Install DVD.
  3. Open your favorite CD/DVD recording program, and make a complete copy of the Mac OS X Install DVD to an ISO file. Save the ISO file to the C: drive as macdvd.iso.
    Make absolutely certain that it copies the entire DVD, not just the 510MB or 1GB Windows part. The resulting file should be somewhere close to 7 GB.
  4. Go to the C: drive (viewing as a folder) and select Tools > Folder Options… > View and make sure to uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for know file types" (when this step is done you can go back and reenable this feature if you do not like the file extensions appearing after file names.) Press OK, then rename the macdvd.iso file to macdvd.img. If you get asked about if you are sure you want to change it, press Yes.
  5. Open My Computer (or just Computer) and write down the drive letters for each respective USB drive.
  6. Open the Image Writer program (it's called Win32DiskImager in the folder you extracted).
  7. The small USB drive is first. Select the correct drive letter under Device, slect the NBI_083F image under Image File, press Write and then Yes. The Progress indicator will help you know when it is finished.
  8. Now select the large USB drive number, and select the macdvd.img file. Press Write and then Yes; this one will take a bit longer so wait for the progress indicator to finish..
  9. When it is done, close Image Writer and remove the USB drives. Eject the DVD and put it away.
I cannot figure out how to make an iso image from my SL disc I have
Step:Open your favorite CD/DVD recording program, and make a complete copy of the Mac OS X Install DVD to an ISO file. Save the ISO file to the C: drive as macdvd.iso.

I am using the suggested infraRecorder...I am just at a blank.......

(#2) Old
Default 02-25-2010, 01:02 PM

I had better luck with TransMac and making a .dmg file (as opposed to a .iso that you later change to a .img file). But, if you are using InfraRecorder, you click on the CD icon in the InfraRecorder menu that says something to the effect of "make image of disk."

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

IIRC, it's the bottom right option in the InfraRecorder menu.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-26-2010, 11:52 AM

I would also recommend using TransMac, rather than InfraRecorder (which I tried first!)

The procedure is as follows:

Install TransMac and then run the program. Insert the DVD into your drive and the larger USB drive into an available port. Right-click on your DVD, select "Save Image of Disk" and save it to a folder on your hard drive. Wait for this to finish. Next, right-click on your flash drive, highlight "Format Disk" and select "Format with Disk Image". Select the DVD image you just created, "Open", and then click "Yes". Wait for this to finish, this will probably take at least half an hour.

Good Luck!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« Bluetooth Message on startup | Mini v10 install problems using Windows »