Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
Send a message via MSN to Gaijin
Default How many will buy an IPAD? - 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM

I suspect I will replace my Dell Mini with an iPad eventually. Anyone else thinking about this?
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 02-18-2010, 03:34 PM

I won't be replacing my Dell Mini with an iPad, but I will be buying one. I can see situations where I still need my Mini.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM

If they had full blown OS X on it, I still wouldn't replace my Mini, but I'd be more willing to consider purchasing one. For what it is though? No thanks..

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-18-2010, 03:59 PM

It's a definate 'No' from me as I won't really have any use for one... an iPhone, a hackintoshed Dell Mini 10v, and a Windows 7 Shuttle PC will do me just fine for now thanks!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#5) Old
Default 02-18-2010, 08:19 PM

I'm a no, too.....nothing will replace my :P

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse
  (#6) Old
Default 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM

IF they get the OS away from a giant iPhone and towards a small Mac then I can see a place for it if you only have a desktop. But if you have a laptop of any kind there is very little use for it.

And knowing Apple and their products it'll either shoot to popularity like the iPhone/iPod Touch or it'll die on it's arse like the MacBook Air.

As i'v said before it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Yet.

Dell Mini 10v (1011) | 160GB HDD | 1GB RAM | Snow Leopard | 10.6.3 | BIOS A06 | NBI 0.8.4 RC1
  (#7) Old
Default 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM

Its a no, here. It has no purpose on my list of gadgets, my ipod touch is used for a quick browse, and for bigger things ill use my dell mini.
  (#8) Old
Default 02-19-2010, 12:26 AM

I'll probably buy the least expensive $499 wi-fi-only iPad as a replacement for my first-gen iPod Touch, and as an e-Book reader. I tend to do late-night news reading, e-mail checks and tomorrow's weather checks with my Touch because it's easy to use while I'm lying down. And I read several chapters or more in a print book before going to sleep, and the heavier books can be cumbersome.

The iPad would let me combine both tasks, and the larger bright screen would enhance both experiences. Plus, I'll be saving money on book costs and there won't be a stack of read books to dispose of at yard sales. As a bonus, I'll be able to read my four comics feeds and do some quick web browsing without having to balance my heavier (and cold!) Unibody MacBook on my sternum in the morning.

My Mini 10v has been upgraded to Bios A06 and the latest version of Snow Leopard, but the battery life is horrible, the screen is too cramped, and the human interface devices leave much to be desired. I tried to use it for the activities noted above for a couple of months, but just got frustrated. Now I tend to use it as a tote-around laptop for keeping in touch with things Internet while I'm watching TV, or moving around town when I know I'll be near wi-fi hotspots. I see the iPad taking over that role too, and doing a much better job than the 10v, whose keyboard I rarely use for typing much more than a line or two of text at a time.

My grandson, who loves the 16 GB SSD Mini 9 I replaced with the 10v, will get the 10v and its 10-times-larger 160 GB hard drive when I get the iPad. But I don't see the iPad replacing my 13.3 inch Unibody MacBook or my 27-inch 3.06 GHz iMac since they are full-blown computers. The iMac, with its 1 TB hard drive, also will serve as the iTunes sync/backup computer for the iPad.

The initial joy and wonder of having an inexpensive "MacBook Mini 9" and "MacBook Mini 10v" has been tempered over the last year by their design compromises and impaired human interface experiences. But combined with my similarly disappointing iPod Touch experience, I've learned what I would like to have in a handheld device that combines the best of both, and that looks very much as if it will be an iPad.
  (#9) Old
Default 02-19-2010, 04:13 AM

I'm open to getting the Ipad in the $499 WIFI only version. I am just waiting to see what it will be like with the 4.0 OS. I already have a Dell XPS 1330 laptop which is small for a laptop but have been wanting something smaller and easier to carry around.
I've been hanging out here looking for an acceptable netbook that maybe could run OSX. It needs to be 9-10 inches with a 720p screen. So far there is only one I have found that interests me. That is the Nokia 3G -a beautiful and Mac like netbook. Problem is the price at $599 -the Ipad would be cheaper. Plus I would still have to add an SSD drive to the 3G to make it usable.
For the cost the Ipad is going to be hard to turn down even if it means giving up things like USB and HDMI and SD. But if I need those that's what my laptop is for.
If the Nokia would come down to $399 without contract or if AT&T would give Nokia users the same $29 deal to Ipads for unlimited data I'd get it instead.
  (#10) Old
Default 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM

i have an iphone, which i find the iphone os painfully uninnovative. it's good for making calls, texting, browsing the internet on 3g where wifi is unavailable, and at most playing sudoku or a similar simplistic game. 99% of iphone games look flashy but are unplayable due to a lack of physical anything.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram

« Can we somehow "roll back" the 10.6.3 update? | Can SuperDuper cloning be used to install SL »