Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default "Install NBI" - How? - 02-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Hello everyone

As many others, I tried to update Snow Leopard without the latest NBI, now my 10v is on that dreaded boot loop.

I understand the solution is to create a new bootable USB, with the latest version of NBI, and my original Snow Leopard disc image.

This I can do no problem.

Where I am confused is when I need to "Install NBI once back in the mac OS."

If I am booting from the USB drive, how do I go about installing onto the HD? Will I lose everything I had saved on there?

I am completely new to this - if there is step by step out there somewhere, something a little more detailed than "just install NBI", I would be greatly appreciate being pointed towards it. Again, I understand the concept, just not sure how to actually carry it out without damaging my files.

(#2) Old
Default 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM

If you use NetbookMaker to make a bootable Snow Leopard USB drive simply boot into that and select your desired language. Instead of continuing with the installation of OS X click on the "Utilities" menu and select "NetbookInstaller". Then select the correct volume to run NBI on and you should be good to go -- no format necessary and everything should be exactly as you had left it.

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05
  (#3) Old
Default 02-15-2010, 09:35 PM

Perfect! That is exactly the little step I was missing.

Thank you!
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 02-15-2010, 10:59 PM

That will work IF you used NetbookBootmaker to make a bootable SL install drive (which requires a Mac). Otherwise, by "install NBI" once back into OS X, that really just means downloading the latest NBI from here and running it from OS X with default options (especially important to check the install bootloader box!). You don't actually have to "install it" by dragging it to your Apps folder, although you can if you want.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final

« Internet Browser Query | dell mini 10v booting problem help please :| »