Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#21) Old
Expert Member
Default 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM

The only thing I would change is to suggest formatting the drive to NTFS, instead of HFS+. The latter did not work for bbowen, while the former did. Since most of these units come with Windows, it also more closely restores the HDD to a known working state. I am still not sure whether GParted actually clears the boot code from the MBR, and that boot code will try to boot the first active partition it finds and, failing that, the first HFS+ partition. Formatting to NTFS takes that last part out of the equation.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#22) Old
Default 03-06-2010, 05:35 AM

There is nothing like "half measures", especially in creating guides, huh?...

Well, from what I supposedly read here about the BLACK "screen of death" the majority of us encounter trying too Hackintosh the Mini 10v (which EVERYONE claimed was an easy hack, but turns out too be far-from-the-truth!)

Unfortunately, the guy writing this post left a lot out of his tutorial on the BSD, like....

1. YOU MUST re-flash your A06 Bios DOWN to an order to escape the dreaded BSD!! (or just keep crying to the forums about it "not working..")

2. minimalpc's NTFS "suggestion" was right-on-the-mark, when he said that using the HFS+ was not working...he was right, DO NOT USE HFS+..use NTFS when formatting the Mini 10v's HDD!!
  (#23) Old
Default 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM

By the tone of your post, I'd say it took you a while to get your 10v going. Sounds like you got it now though, good for you....

To answer your 2 points...

1. I didn't post that you should downgrade your bios to A04, because I didn't. I have 2 Mini 10v's, one with A05 and one with A06, both run flawlessly. Older versions of the netbook bootmaker needed A04 bios, but the latest doesn't.

2. I used HFS+ for both of mine, so that's what i posted. Whether it works for others or not, I can't speak to that.

I just posted what worked for... I apologize for not meeting your needs, with my post. I hope it helped others. Feel free to reply if you have any more comments/concerns...
  (#24) Old
Default 05-20-2010, 03:26 AM

hey i've dont everything this topic says and im still getting cant find mach_kernel
  (#25) Old
Smile 03-21-2011, 01:49 AM

damn right

for last 6 hours I was trying to format it to fat32 and put SOME linux on it so that I can create a good mbr, before reinstalling snow leopard

The damn thing worked only when I formatted it to NTFS!

The error I was getting while putting nbi usb and sl.iso usb was

Memory allocation error (0x10360f0, 0x6dff0000)
with Mac OS X Install DVD icon

looks like dell is hiding something somewhere
  (#26) Old
Default 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM

I feel compelled to share my experience here as I too fought with the build for parts of a couple days.

-Cannot find mach_kernel went away after formatting with NTFS with Gparted. However, I was getting a BootMgr missing type message until I reformatted to NTFS with an XP Setup CD.

-Was able to directly install OSX 10.6.3 but only after using an external laptop drive in an enclosure and NBI_084RC1. The usb stick apparently was the biggest problem here right from the get go, including when a friend initially loaded the MAC OSX DVD to it via his Mac.

-My BIOS is A05. Transmac was very helpful in creating an image file of the Install DVD and then copying to the external hard drive.
  (#27) Old
Default 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM

Ok I am a nubee and I have no Idea what I am doing. All I want to do is reinstall snow leopard on my computer. I updated one too many times and now I get the message please hit power and restart your computer every single time. Please give direct instruction on every single thing I need to do. I have no idea on how to get this dell mini 10v to work

mach_kernel, restart

« try face time | keys question »