Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
Default Successful OSX installs - 10v - 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM

So, I stumbled across this site after I placed an order for my mini10v, which showed up 2 days ago. I originally ordered the 10v because my current aging HP has a tired battery and requires me to remain tethered to my AC adapter at all times. In lieu of spending $180 on a new battery, I decided I would order a $250 net book to use for my web surfing and e-mail and allocate the HP to desktop use. Now, after having explored this site for a couple of weeks, I'd like to give the OSX install a try (always wanted to try a Mac, but too cheap to buy one).

On to the question - who has hackintoshed their 10v and had a successful install? By successful, I mean you walked through the install steps and came out the other side with hardly an issue. It seems that every other thread in the OSX forum is someone who's had an issue or is still experiencing problems but I'm hoping that these are just the 2% of people who have issues.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-12-2010, 04:31 PM

If you read the guides carefully, you will not have one single issue.

I installed without issues, but didnt start a thread for that i ve no issue, i think the most of the mini 9 and mini 10v users dont have an issue.

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#3) Old
Default 02-12-2010, 04:42 PM

i have installed twice. first time i used a pc to create the install usb's and it took me a little while to get it to work but there were no major problems. I then decided to go back to xp, after about a week i decided it ran even worse with xp then it did with osx so i decided to switch back. The second time i used my girlfriends macbook pro to make the install usb and it was MUCH easier. I would say if you can find someone with a mac that will let you make the boot drive it will be alot easier for you then doing it from your hp...
  (#4) Old
Default 02-12-2010, 05:06 PM

i used the external dvd drive method. went to best buy and bought the $30 Snow Leopard disk, and it was flawless. I had zero issues. Took about an hour and a half total. way easier than I thought it would be. it was literally burn the netbookinstaller to cd, boot up, switch the dvd out, put SL dvd in, and thats it.

I think where people run into problems is that they are trying to use "hacked" iso's of snow leopard and fittle around with the usb methods...

my advice? go buy the disk, use an external dvd drive, it solves most problems and its way easy

mini 10v | Red | 160gb | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 final | bios 06 |

Desktop: Amd 965 @ 3.9Ghz | 4gb ddr3 @ 1333mHz | Ati 4890 2gb Vapor-x | 2x V-Raptor 150gb Raid0 | HT Omega Striker |
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM

I finally succeeded by following Mechdrew's No. 2 guide from within Windows 7, and using two Lexar USB sticks... and with an A06 BIOS!

I would recommend using TransFlash to prepare and copy the images though, as I did have problems initially.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#6) Old
Default 02-12-2010, 06:26 PM

i've done it on three 10vs using the guide posted on this site, and just got another one today. aside from a little terminal tweaking for stuff like window resizing automators, lid wake and the occasional kernel panic (none since NBI 0.8.3 final, though), they've all run flawlessly.
  (#7) Old
Send a message via AIM to ben9105
Default 02-12-2010, 06:41 PM

The only problems I had had to do with burning the programs onto the flash drives. Once that was settled the install itself went smoothly.
  (#8) Old
Default 02-13-2010, 02:27 AM

Ditto about doing exactly what the guides say. If you do that, you won't have any problems.
  (#9) Old
Default 02-13-2010, 04:15 AM

I tried the install several times with a retail copy of snow leopard using an external hard drive, then a USB stick.Formatted on my MacBook. Disk utility couldn't recognize the Mini's hard drive.
Finally in desperation I returned the Mini, then bought another from an ebay reseller.
Installed successfully on 1st attempt. Go figure
Upgrade to 10.6.2 went smoothly as well
  (#10) Old
Send a message via AIM to BlackRich Send a message via Skype™ to BlackRich
Default 02-13-2010, 12:30 PM

I ran into a few problems using my pc. First I couldn't get mac to boot to actually install, and then I got it almost there, then some crazy kernel panic, Then i used the latest version of TransMac to write my usb install key and I downgraded my bios to A04, and finally it worked correctly. After that the upgrade to 10.6.2 went smooth, the only tweak I had to do after the fact, was some terminal entries to fix the lid wake issue. For the most part i'm satisfied with the OS X on the dell mini, except youtube and what not comes in choppy. I haven't had a chance to look into a fix for that yet, but i'll look for a solution to that later when Im back on my mini.

Dell Mini 10v|OSX 10.6.3|NBI 0.8.4 RCI|1GB RAM|160 GB HDD|BIOS A04|Obsidian Black

« iLife '09 Issue | Cursor Tracking Issue/ Text icon to pointer »