Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Snow Leopard install from SD card on 10v - 02-09-2010, 10:19 AM

I got my mini 10v last night and have been trying to install Snow Leopard on it. I hit a snag though, my largest USB flash drive is only 4GB and I don't want to go through the hassle of backing up one of my large and mostly full externals for the job. I read though that you can do the install on a 10v from an SD card and I managed to get hold of an 8GB one.

I'm using the method described by mechdrew to prepare the SL install media on my Windows PC (not having a Mac to do it on) so I put the bootloader on my 4GB stick (works fine) but I've yet to have success with SL on the SD card. It goes into Chameleon but just refuses to see the OSX image on the SD card. What's really weird is that I managed to get it to see the card before when I mistakenly had a copy of OSX server on the SD card (didn't boot for obvious reasons).

Is it possible with an SD card or am I just doing it wrong? I've got an old HDD and an external USB HDD dock I can try if it's a no go.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM

I assume you restored the Snow Leopard CD onto the SD card using Transmac or something similar?

Mini 10v | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 1510 N Wireless | BT 2.1 | OSX 10.6.4 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | Bios A04 | 1010 Touchpad | Magic Mouse
  (#3) Old
Default 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Using the method described here:
NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

The SD card was loaded with Snow Leopard using the Image Writer for Windows tool. I converted the .dmg using UltraISO. Tried both converting to an iso and renaming to .img (which has been described as working in another tutorial) and converting to .img directly but neither provided any results. The weird thing is I managed to get Chameleon to recognise the SD when it had Mac OSX Server on it but I've yet to get it to see Snow Leopard.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Tried using Transmac to expand the .dmg and then format the SD card using the expanded .dmg. Still no results, Chameleon refuses to see the SD card. I've reimaged the damn card a dozen times and the only time I got it to see anything was when I was mistakenly using an OSX server disc.

Can anyone tell me if it's actually possible to do it using an SD card? Or am I just wasting my time.

Tried again, this time using a USB card reader instead of the Mini's SD card slot to no avail.

Is it possible to do this using an external DVD drive?

What I'm thinking is I burn the image I've been trying to use on the SD card to a DVD and then use that instead of the SD card with NBI still on the USB stick.

Can anyone help me with this? I don't particularly want to order an 8GB USB drive especially but at this rate it looks like my only option. I don't want to end up spending money on extra hardware only to find it doesn't make a difference.

« Can't install Snow leopard on Dell mini 10v | Sleep/Hibernate doubts »