Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Question Is hard disk obliteration required for successful install? - 02-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Hi guys - Long-term Mac OS X and first-time hackintoshing user here.
I've been reading this guide on Gizmodo and I was wondering about the step where it tells you to completely wipe your netbook's HD.
Is this skippable? I really don't want to lose the stuff on there.
In-depth explanation: (Not necessary for reading, but might give insight)
The government recently got around to actually giving me the stuff I'd been promised to help with my disabilities and one of the things was a Dell Mini 10v. It's a bit fiddly compared with the Macbook Pro I used to use (especially the trackpad!), but it was free and it weighs nothing, so it's not to be sniffed at.
Anyway, it comes with loads of premium software, 3 years of insurance and free 24/7 technical support, which all hinges on a few bits of private software that auth it and such, and I suspect that if Nuke'n'Paved the HD I would lose both the insurance and the software for good.
Is there a way around this?
(Oh also if this is in the wrong section I apologise - it seemed most appropriate)
  (#2) Old
Default 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Check out the guides here. Most of Gizmodo's guide is out of date

Dell mini 10v - OS10.6.2 Bios A05 - 1.6 ghz Intel Atom - 160 GB HD - 2GB RAM - Bluetooth- VMWare Fusion 3.01 with XP Pro
  (#3) Old
Default 02-05-2010, 10:45 AM

Somehow clone the drive to an external, then format the original for dual boot, install Mac OSX, then somehow restore the PC stuff to the Windoze partition. I'm sure it's possible one way or the other.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-05-2010, 04:37 PM

It looks as if you might be better off setting up a 'Dual booting' arrangement, which I believe can be done without destroying your existing data.

I am sure you will find some useful hints and tips in the Dual Booting section on here.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« 10v Hackintosh SD | OSX USB Boot Problem »