Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default After reinstallin SL, my Mini won't boot - 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM

I have managed to successfully install SL twice on my Mini 10v, but each time I had permissions errors (which I posted about in previous threads).

So, I thought I would start from scratch again (I'm using a 2.5inch HDD as I don't have an 8GB stick laying around).

As far as I can tell, I've followed the same procedure making this boot disk (using Disk Utility and then NetBookMaker).

I am able to boot the Mini form the external HDD and install SL to the Mini, but when the install has finished, the Mini reboots itself - as it should.

However, all I get know is the Dell logo (with the F2 and F12 prompts) followed by a black screen with a flashing _ cursor in the top-left corner of the screen. And that is it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I'm now trying again and what I noticed is that when I boot from my external HDD to install SL, I get a very brief show of the flashing _ cursor, following by a spinning ASCII type Cursor ( \ | / - that type) for about a second and then the Mini boots from the externall HDD.

EDIT 2: Just finished trying again with the same issue - just a flashing underscore _ cursor in the top left corner.

I think somehow my installs aren't installing a bootloader (if that is the right name for it) and soo the Mini justs sits there after installing SL as it doesn't know what to do

I tried booting from the externall HDD and running NetBookInstaller from the Utilities menu of the SL installer, but that didn't help either.

It is a shame, as other than the permissions errors that I had, it seemed like a sweet little machine that I had planned to gift to my wife for her birthday this weekend - so if anyone has any ideas it'd be appreciated.

Many thanks,

(#2) Old
Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM

Sounds like a problem with the drive format/setup. Try completely formatting the drive, recreating your Snow Leopard "Install Disc" and redownload NBM in case something has gone wrong with that.

Also, out of curiousity, what kind of permissions error were you getting?
  (#3) Old
Default 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM

Were you able to figure out this issue? I ran through the SL install, got to the restart, and the machine won't boot. I'm repartitioning the drive and pulling over SL again, not very confident this will solve the problem. Thanks for the help.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-07-2010, 12:38 AM

So I tried a second install that ended up being successful. I did two things differently.

1. Used an older version of NBM (0.8.3 RC5) posted on 12/19/09. Link: Meklort's Blog

2. After the install of OSX finished, but before it auto restarted, I opened the Netbook Installer from Utilities and ran that on the drive where I installed OSX.

Not sure which of these caused the install to work this time, but all I know is I LOVE my new Apple netbook. Sound and wifi both work, don't use bluetooth for anything so can't speak to that. Hopefully this helps anyone else who runs into a similar issue.

« Upgraded without reading, no sound! | Can't find mach_kernel »