Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default pinwheel forever using NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac - 01-30-2010, 07:20 AM

I apologize if I missed the answer to this one in another thread. I have twice prepared a 16gb usb drive using NBI 1. I insert it in a mini 10v, commence booting from the usb drive, get the apple and the wheel underneath and get the purple star screen and a never ending slowly rotating (clockwise) color pinwheel.

The only thread that seems to bear on this suggested rolling back the bios from a06 to a04 or a03 and using nbi 0.8.2. However, meklort said that the problem with a06 and nbi 0.8.3 has been fixed so I have not tried this solution. Any suggestions?
  (#2) Old
Default 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM

I now need more help. The 10v will no longer boot into windows. I get three error messages from the dell self-test:

Error Code 0F00: 1344
msg disk block 112348: can't read, replace disk

Error Code 0F00: 065D
msg disk dst self-test read error

Error Code 4400: 011a
msg scsi_0-000_disk_generic-_multi-card - target not ready.

When I boot from the usb key, I get the sequence described above ending up with a slow color pinwheel in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

I have a retail 10.5.6 disk that I used to install os x on a dell mini 9.

One more thing. I am using a 16gb san disk which has their U3 system on it. I tried to trash it but I was unsuccessful in trying to do so on the mac. The irony is that I was booting up the 10v to see if I could use it to erase the u3 system.

What should I do?

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

I forgot to report what the failure to boot looks like. I get a blue screen with lots of writing on it. At the top of the page it says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

It gives me a number of things to try, none of which worked. The bottom of the screen reads:

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x89B8C7B8,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I do not know enough to make a reasonable guess as to how the hard disk could be caused to fail by my trying to boot from the usb key. Any thoughts?

« Trackpad question | ongoing problem with install »