Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Time Machine Restore = Boot0: Error - 01-26-2010, 09:24 PM

So, I'm testing out various scenarios for this wonderfully new Hackintosh idea, so I decided to "destroy" my setup last night. With a solid Time Machine backup on a second partition, I changed permissions on the system folder, effectively trashing the install. I then followed these steps:

1. Booted off USB Install "DVD" which was created with NBI 0.8.3 Final.
2. At the install screen, I chose "Restore from Time Machine backup" and chose the appropriate backup.
3. I left things alone and came back when it was done to reboot.

Here's the problem: I'm now stuck with a "Boot0: Error" message. Since I'm still new to Hackintosh concept, I need to know if I made some small error which is easily remedied, or if Time Machine is a no-go in the first place. If I have to start the TM restore process over and do it "right" this time, I'm happy to. If I have to install from scratch, that's fine too, but I'd like to know if that means TM is not an option for backing up a Hackintosh.

And yes, the above 3 steps are exactly what I did. Nothing else at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS I also appear to be unable to boot from the USB drive as well. The "boot0: error" flashes up immediately after the POST screen and I never see the USB drive selection screen. I guess the drive could be corrupted and require a new Install DVD image setup, but I'm not sure how that would have happened. Legacy USb Support is on and the USB drive is listed as the first device.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-27-2010, 03:05 AM

The error you are seeing comes from Chameleon's boot0 code in the MBR. It indicates to me that Chameleon is not finding boot1 on the OS X partition. Somehow you need to re-run NBI and re-install the Chameleon bootloader. That may solve the problem. If you can't do so through the USB drive you used for the install, I would either remake it, use NetbookCD, or write the NBI_083F dd Image to a USB drive and boot from it. Also, make sure the OS X partition is set to be the active one.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#3) Old
Default 01-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had more success when I loaded NetbookMaker on the USB drive in place of NBI. Not sure if this was an actual fix or if I would have had similar success following your advice (I saw this post only just now). In the end, however, even th Time Machine backup didn't seem to work well. Since I'm just learning, I just trashed everything and started from scratch, both to reinforce the install steps in my mind and also to get a "clean" system so I could be sure nothing was left laying around.

I have a post I'll be making soon on backup strategies. In the meantime, thanks for the response. I'll bookmark in case I run into similar issues in the future.
  (#4) Old
Default 01-28-2010, 02:51 PM

I had the same error when I restored through Time Machine. All I had to do was fire up the USB stick and run NBI from the install screen, then the restore worked perfectly.

10v - A05 - OSX 10.6.2 - NBI 8.3
  (#5) Old
Default 09-28-2010, 05:00 AM

Im running into the same issue......the only issue is that now when I try and boot back into osx with netbook cd it just reboots the system

on sl 10.6.4

MacBook Mini---Black Dell Mini 10v
OS X 10.6.4 / Windows 7 Home Premium
2 GB Ram, 250gb HD, BT
SD card booting full installs of Jolicloud, Android, and XBMC
Mini 9 OS X 10.6.2 2gb Ram 16 SSD BT Mini 9 OS X 10.6.2 2gb Ram 16 SSD

« Things not starting properly. | Dell Mini 10v installation problems »