Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to samuelwolff
Default *Install Failed snow leopard 10v - 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM

I've been trying to install SL on my 10v. I've run into every problem along the way. My newest problem: installation failed. I get to pressing install on SL, with a GUID partition table( i've been following MechDrew's guide via any OS) and twice, its failed. then, i need to install ubuntu to clean the drive and try again to no success. Please help, i'm out of ideas? "Installation Failed, Could not copy the necessary support files" is the message i get. you think it could be a bad drive? its a sandisk cruzer.

Dell Mini 10v-1GB RAM-250BG HDD-Win7-OSX-UBUNTU

Dell Inspiron 1545- Celeron 2.2GHz- 3GB RAM-160GBHD Win7-Ubuntu
  (#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to 05GT
Default 01-12-2010, 04:19 AM

What size is your drive?
  (#3) Old
Default same - 01-23-2010, 06:58 AM

Yeah i'm in the same boat.
I'm installing from a retail version of snow leopard.
I can boot the installer and format the new partition using GUID but once it begins to install, after about 40 seconds it displays the 'cannot read source files' error (or something to that effect)
I've tried two seperate 16 gig thumb drives ( a cruzer and some other brand) but still won't install!

I'm installing on a mini 10v with A06 bios version (which is the version that it came shipped with)

I have tried obtaining the image of the installing DVD using diskimager & transmac but both give the same results.

I'm thinking the next step might be to downgrade to A04?
I can see a fair few people have had this same problem - maybe Apple is sending out snow leopard discs that are already patched to 10.6.2 and are not compatible with the current version of the boot loader?
  (#4) Old
Default 01-24-2010, 11:47 PM

The boat is getting bigger. I have had the same problem for the last two weeks. Just about ready to sell the 10v.

Have not seen much help here. I posted twice, lots of views but 0 responses.

Maybe there is a better site for help ??

Good Luck
  (#5) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-25-2010, 03:09 AM

You must use an image made from a genuine retail copy of the SL 10.6 upgrade disc. If you are using something you "found" on the Internet, that very well may be the problem. Do a custom install and disable as many optional components as possible. Use NetbookCD instead of NBI if that still doesn't work.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#6) Old
Default 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM

I was having the same problem, I just recreated the SL usb using the Windows Alternate 1 on NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew and it worked first try.

Edit: I used a SL ISO I "found" on the Internet.
  (#7) Old
Default 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM

I am in the same boat. I get to the part to download OS X and it only goes for a couple minutes. restart and I get "can't find mac kernel" I believe I bought the right upgrade SL disc....i cannot figure out the problem.....

10v, failed, hard drive, install, snow leopard

« note application missing | Snow leopard installed with NBI 0.8.2 how do I now add drivers from NBI 0.8.3 »