Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Default 01-26-2010, 02:36 PM

@mistaBishi neither of those links load for those of us who aren't members of that forum. If you could reupload the pics that would be helpful. Thanks!

Mac mini (1.42 Ghz PPC) 1GB - OS X Leopard
Dell Mini 10v N280, 1GB - OS X Snow Leopard
  (#12) Old
Default 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM

These MSI guys are doing it right......we need to step our game over here!

Google Image Result for

I want this.

Mini 10v - OS X 10.6.2 - 120gb HDD - 1g Ram - NCD (D) - RC5 - BIOS A05 - Works Perfect!
  (#13) Old
Default 01-26-2010, 11:03 PM

InsanelyWind • View topic - MacBook nano keyboard Modification

I made it so you can see the images. Its a great looking netbook, I love it!

Another mod performed is the Carbon Fibre lid, which I can also link to if you want.
  (#14) Old
Default 01-27-2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by mistaBishi View Post
InsanelyWind • View topic - MacBook nano keyboard Modification

I made it so you can see the images. Its a great looking netbook, I love it!

Another mod performed is the Carbon Fibre lid, which I can also link to if you want.
I would like to see a tutorial on the case mod for sure. What did you use? Did you cut or just overlay? So many questons...
  (#15) Old
Default 01-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Okay, one question at a time!

Just to clarify, that MacBook Nano Mod isn't mine, but I've done a similar mod with my keyboard.

So ask your questions, and i will answer

EDIT: Here is a link to my Wiki page, which contains a picture of the carbon fibre. Though it needs to be updated, as I now have an Apple logo on there also. Co-Founder
MSI Wind U100+: 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Dell 1395 WiFi card, Chiclet Keyboard Mod, Carbon fibre Lid with Apple logo.
Hybrid GPT/MBR dual boot (Snow Leopard EFI 10.6.2 and Windows 7 Ultimate)
  (#16) Old
Default 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM

wow, that keyboard mod is incredible. how did that guy do this??
  (#17) Old
Default 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM

After seeing this thread this morning I decided what the heck ill give it a shot, this is exactly what I have wanted since I first put OSX on my mini.

First thing I did was set about taking the mini apart. I started by investigating around the screen area. Just outside the hinges there are 2 rubber pads, these pads cover 2 screws. If you pull the pads off and remove the screws you can then use a small screw driver to pry the plastic frame from the back of the display housing. I then thought oh no the plastic hinge covers are part of this frame gonna have to tear it all apart. In fact, the hinge covers are separate pieces and are snapped in place, after fiddling with the frame i was able to remove it with out taking the whole mini apart. I then removed the 4 screws holding the back cover to the display. At the top of the display there is a short wire that lifts up from the webcam mic board removed that,
There are 2 wires, one white one black, that come out the left hinge and wrap around the back cover to the top, the are taped down and are the wifi antenna. after removing all this stuff, i printed an apple logo, resized to 3 inches, and scratched the logo into the plastic around the dell logo. because it was 4 in the morning the kids are sleeping and im hanging out in the livingroom, i went neanderthal and used a sharp knife to cut the apple logo out of the plastic. i was not very careful, as i figured i can just order a new back plastic if i mess it up. About 5 minutes into cutting the plastic, i realized there is a pcb board on the back of the display, and my 3 inch apple is going to expose it, which you will see in the pictures later. i continued on and came out with a very crude proof oc concept. To really get this to work correctly you will need to use a dremel. To really make it look good, some type of smoked plastic will need to be cut out to replace the plastic that was removed, and figuring out a way to wire a small led light into the back to make up for the light lost due to the pcb board would be nice, (im thinking opening up the whole mini and tapping into a usb port getting .5 volts out to the back. In the mean time, this will make me happy as im now sure im the only person with a dellintosh that has a glowing apple even if it isnt super pretty. Im also going to order 2 more back covers, (when i have the money) so i can give it another shot, and ill record the process next time for a youtube DYI.

All three photos are from my iphone. The first is just a normal picture, the second is the same image but the HDR version, you can really see the corner of the PCB board in the HDR version... The third is of it in a closet where no lights and you can really see the glow. It is 100% lit up by the LCD backlighting. Again you can see the PCB board and the need for a secondary light. The 4th photo is of the dell logo after the cut out so you can see how close i was to it, the tip of the screw driver is showing you the side the PCB board is on if i had used a 2.5 inch apple logo instead of the 3inch, and lined the bottom of the apple with the bottom of the dell logo, im thinking you would not see the PCB board at all.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

As i said if i had made the logo a tad bit smaller, and moved it up just a little bit, i may have missed exposing the PCB board. you can also tell it was cut out with a knife and not dont properly with a dremel. Which reminds me, when using the knife to cut it out, i cracked the plastic between the leaf and apple, and alittle off the bottom of the apple, nothing major and probably not noticeable unless it was pointed out or you were right on top of it. But as i say No other dellintosh has this mod yet so I suppose i cant complain just yet lol.

Mini 10v A06, 2 gb ram, 1024X600, Flashed stock wifi to airport extreme, dual boot win 7, not that i use crapdows for very much lol...

apple, case, dell mini 10v, logo, mod

« NBI showing three options instead of my HD | 10.6.6 external monitor FAIL »