Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

Default XP Dual boot installation with an OSX installed. - 12-24-2009, 02:28 AM

first or all, i had my dell mini 10v installed OSX 10.6 snow leopard with bios A04 and NBI RC5, works good, solid.

I need to install the win xp for some needs.

got 30g partitioned with disk utility as FAT.

installed the win xp and made an osx partition activated.

operated with OSX, expecting dual booting selection mode, made a NBI RC5 installation again.

but there was no dual boot mode but just OSX boots only.

tried to boot a xp with NBI boot usb, gave an error that enforces ctr+alt+del ....

is there any idea for an installation of xp dual boot with an osx already installed?

thank you.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 12-24-2009, 05:50 AM

When you ran NBI the 2nd time, you should have unchecked the option to install Chameleon (you had already installed it the 1st time). When Chameleon is installed, it breaks existing dual-boot capability unless you jump through some hoops. I know how to fix this problem on Windows 7, but XP is a little different. If I were you, this is what I would try. Please keep in mind that I have not tried this and it may not work. You may end up not being able to boot Mac or Windows and have to reinstall. With that said, and at your own risk, try booting your XP install disc/flash drive then entering the XP Recovery Console (press "R" to enter the console once you get to the installer "Welcome" screen). Once in the console, select your Windows installation and first try running the "fixboot" command. You MAY have to first set the XP partition as active using the "diskpart" command. I'm not sure exactly how to do that on XP, but the "help" command should tell you. Once you have successfully used "fixboot," make sure the Mac partition is active again then reboot. If dual-boot still doesn't work, repeat, except this time try using the "fixmbr" command instead of "fixboot."

Please post your results back here.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#3) Old
Default 12-24-2009, 03:04 PM

I haven't got quite as far as the OP, and am running into a problem installing XP. I've been working on this for the last 6 hours and can't find a solution:

My Snow Leopard is working great in partition 3 with NBI RC5 installed. I'm trying to install XP on partition 4. The "text mode" half of the XP installation goes just fine, but the "GUI mode" fails because it can't find hal.dll. I've been around in circles and even figured out how to change active partitions (fyi: from the Terminal in OS X, type "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0", then type "p" to list partitions, and "f 4" then "write" to make partition 4 active), but nothing helps.

When I do the install "DEBUG options", I get "Error accessing boot sector file multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BOOTSECT.DOS". I also checked my boot.ini in recovery mode and it looks fine, listing "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS as the default.

I suspect some sort of chameleon problem, but I don't know how to solve it. I want to be able to dual boot SL or XP.

Please help! I would like to solve this without having to re-do my beautiful SL installation.

(#4) Old
Default 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM

After 3 days of similar trials and tribulations trying to get XP and SL working (with the Dell Restore partition also working), I have given up on getting the Dell Restore partition working for the time being (although I can boot to it using a Win98SE boot USB and run the restore manually).

I've found that Windows installations are extremely fragile-- and not easy to fix or to know what's wrong, could be the MBR, the partition boot record, boot.ini, etc.

If you want to brute force it, and have a spare external USB with at least 20gb free, I would try booting snow leopard, then creating an image of that partition using disk utility. Then you can repartition without worrying about your Snow Leopard partition if you need to. It might be worth it to start over and install Windows XP to a fresh first partition, or if you still have the Dell Restore partition around, to make a Windows 98 boot USB, boot off that, then run the restore manually. Instructions on how to do it manually are here.

Actually, thinking about it more-- it seems like the hal.dll error has something to do with the trickiness of how aWindows XP install USB is made (which is another reason why I wanted to avoid that process).
  (#5) Old
Default 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM

OK, I'm into the recovery console to try the "fixboot" as mentioned above but I'm being asked for an Administrator password. What's that, and where do I get it?

« Office installer needs to install "Rosetta" | installing OSX 10.6. FAILD. now no oparating system »