Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Default 12-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ppafford View Post
just used Apple's Software Update, click Details and just selected 10.6.2 update to install
Running 10.6 and the only updates I can see are for Airport, Itunes and something else - no 10.6.2 option.

(#12) Old
Default using NBI RC5 - 12-25-2009, 09:52 AM

I'll be the first to admit i'm a noob at this. I've successfully put 10.6 on my 10v, using usb method and NBM RC4. also I downloaded to A05. I have not run NBI RC4 after loading 10.6 because I was so close to the RC5 announcement i figured i'd just wait until then.
my questions:
Can I run the RC5 installer, then update to 10.6.2, then run RC5 again, even though I used the RC4 bootmaker to install SL?

If I upgrade the harddrive, do I need to do anything to the bios, or can I just run the bootloader and make a USB-bootable install and go from there?

sorry for the noob questions or for any confusion...
any help would be appreciated
  (#13) Old
Default 12-25-2009, 01:15 PM

Hey there!

Don't worry about the newbie-ness, most of us have been there! This is what you need to do:

1. Download and run NetbookInstaller RC5. Restart;
2. Use software update to download and install 10.6.2 (The system should automatically restart);
3. Rerun Netbook Installer RC5.
4. You may also wish to repair permissions at this point (Use Disk Utility);
5. Run Software Update and install the Airport patch. DO NOT disturb/ power down your Mini whilst this installs. It takes a long time and the screen goes blue for a while.

There should not be a need to change your BIOS settings post RC5 install (as I've been told on a different thread).

I personally used the enclosure method to install Snow Leopard, and used NBI RC5 to go from 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 (I skipped from RC3 to RC5).

To be on the safe side, don't do the update until someone more knowledgeable from the forum can chime and confirm the update process.

Good luck!

Dell Mini 10v | A06 | 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 RC5
iLife '09 | iWork '09

« Quick question about OS X install guide. | Changing the context menu key? »