Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default External VGA Connection Video Corruption - 12-13-2009, 08:41 PM

I have a new dell mini 10v, A04, 10.6.2 using NBI RC 0.8.4.

When I connect a vga cable to my big screen TV (native resolution 1280x768) OSX detects the monitor and tries to switch the resolution, this results in a corrupted display. When the cable is unplugged it goes back to the standard resolution on the internal display.

Any idea why the video mode is getting corrputed? My other laptop, a macbook, works fine with this.

(#2) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM

I had the same problem... My 10v works fine with another external monitor at 1920x1080 so I know the second display will work. I think it might be that the video driver can't handle the 1280x768 for some reason.??

Mini 10v - 160GB HD - A04 BIOS - OS X 10.6.2 - NBI 0.8.3RC5
MacBook Pro 15"
iMac G5 - 20"
  (#3) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 11:35 PM

Me to!
And when I checked the "monitor mirroring" checkbox it went real crazy. But it returned to normal when unplugging the ewxt. monitor. Is there a terminal command to uncheck the "monitor mirroring" box?
  (#4) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 11:38 PM

I think I read something about this a while ago.... wait for the super-mods to come to the rescue and post a link :-)

Check out my guide for installing SL 10.6.2 on your brand new Dell Mini 10v!
  (#5) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 08:26 PM

see this thread... you are not the only one with the issues:

VLC sound but no video

essentially the kext file that allows you to mirror to an external video source isn't 10.6 compatible (or more likely quicktime/ect compatible)... and gives you slow/missing video but allows you to mirror your screen.

removing the kext file via the NetBook Installer gets you video back but you lose mirroring.

you can tinker around a bit and make it so that you can plug in the external video and then turn mirroring off and then just use the extended mode to play video/etc on the external screen.

hope some of the code/hacking gurus find/make a 10.6 friendly mirroring kext sometime soon. =(
  (#6) Old
Default mirror utility - testing - 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM

I've got the link to the mirror display utility from I'll test it out in a bit and get back to the post. Seems like this directly addresses the issue for netbooks (as indicated on his site).

(#7) Old
Default 12-17-2009, 10:22 PM

My first post ! I'm tracking this issue as well. Looking forward to a fix. I'm available for help testing if required.

« The 10v BIOS Wars Thread! May the flash be with you... A04? A05? A06? | My Dell Mini's fallen asleep and can't wake up! »