Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Default 12-13-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheAAPLFreak View Post
Install Chameleon on the external, and hit Boot Options when the 10v is starting up. You'll then start into OS X.
What I have a HFS+ partition on my external HD. In that I have the mac.sparseimage - sparse image created using carbon copy cloner.

I booted into the mini 10v with my installer dvd (made using netbookmaker). Went to disk utility. then went to Images -> scan image fro restore and chose the mac.sparseimage from the external hd - it keeps giving me this error (Unable to Sacan Image - mac.sparseimage -(Invalid Argument)) - I am stuck at this. Dont know of a way to use this sparse image to restore to my mini 10v now..

Anyone have a different way to do this?
  (#12) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM

Uh... yes... from another Mac. I'm not entirely sure, but I think spareseimage is not restored from Disk Utilities.

- Clone 10v/mini HD to external drive, will create a "whateverName".sparseimage... this is NOT a DMG !!

- remove internal HD and put in enclosure.
- mount on another mac/hack
- Wipe the OSX PARTITION and not the whole drive.
- Restore the sparseimage to 10v/mini destination
- NBI 0.8.3RC4, or whatever you prefer, chosing ONLY the Chameleon bootloader
- Pop in the drive

HavenĀ“t done it yet with my 10v, but this is the procedure I've repeated dozens of times.

This is my day 2 with my 10v, let me drive it around some more to have a feel of what it's like, I will certainly be applying this myself, probably going for a triple boot W7 Ubuntu

The BlackMini 10v | 2GB | Seagate 320GB 7,200 rpm | A06 -> A04 (NBI 0.8.3 RC5) | OSX 10.6.2 | Voodoo Power Mini (w/ Sleep Stepping) | ******* My easy 10v trackpad and palm rest mod ->
  (#13) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by yidakee View Post

This is the second time I try and it wont let me clone!! KP's at around 75%.

First time was a previous install.... damn it !! Why? why ??

I swear by this trick... I've cloned dozens of hacks before, why wont if finish cloning !!?!?!?

I noticed this with my SATA dock on my Mini 10v w/OSX. I installed the same drive into an enclosure I bought from Newegg and the problem went away. My guess is that the dock has some sort of compatibility issue with OSX or the Mini 10v USB host. It works fine on my Mac Mini and my Dell E1705, so I don't think it's broken.
  (#14) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by garrett View Post
I'm guessing that wipe and restore from time machine is totally identical.
No. TM backs up only a selection of data, not the complete volume.

« A06 BIOS KP caught red handed doing a 10.6.2 backflip !! (pic) | Help! »