Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#11) Old
Default 12-21-2009, 04:36 AM

When I had it with the dying hard drive/dying ram stick, every 1-45 minutes. With a good drive & good stick, never

Black Dell Mini 10v - 120GB Western Digital HDD - 2GB G.Skill DDR2-667 - 6 Cell battery - 1.3 webcam - Dell 1510 - Mac OS X 10.6.4
Alpine White Dell Mini 9 - 8GB STEC/16GB Kingston SDHC - 1GB LV Samsung DDR2-667 - 8 Cell battery - 1.3 webcam - Dell 1397 - Mac OS X 10.6.4
  (#12) Old
Default First blood - 12-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Just got my first kp here, after 40 days+ of problem free, heavy use. Did not do anything special, just surfing wirelessly on a (perfectly normal & legal ) web page in Firefox and running Thunderbird at the same time. My hard drive is from Samsung.

Hoping never to see that message again.

10v, A05, 10.6.2, NBI 8.3
  (#13) Old
Default 12-30-2009, 04:42 AM

My Dell 10v was bought at December and it uses Toshiba Hard drive,. Installed SL 10.6.2 with NBI RC5 and have never caught KP
  (#14) Old
Default 12-30-2009, 11:50 PM

I've had two kernel panics in two days, and I have a Western Digital hard drive, basic 10v specs. Got it on Christmas and no other problems besides the KP.

For some reason it's only occurred when I'm browsing Something Awful. Now that I don't understand. Really hoping it's some mysterious goon voodoo and that I won't have to buy a new hard drive to fix it.

Mini 10v | Black | OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard | 160GB HDD | 1GB RAM
  (#15) Old
Default 12-31-2009, 06:23 PM

yeah I have the same WD 2.5 S-ata drive, get the odd KP, restart and open up Console and noticed the same (same-ish) line, de bug called for during Windows resize, that's probably why it seems to KP when surfing (regardless of browser) but any kind of resize operation seems to trip a KP, using Cover-flow etc.

I agree with you it seems to be a drive issue, some WD (none Mac Branded) drives don't index properly in Mac, well know bugbear.may be even the paging memory who knows

swap it out, what I'm going to do, easy fix, with a fresh instal would be wise. Like the look of the seagate drives, pretty cheap these days, keep to the same spindle speed. 5400

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#16) Old
Default 12-31-2009, 06:40 PM

(knock on wood)

Dell Mini 10v w/ 2GB SDRAM, 802.11n & BlueTooth
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
2TB of NFS mounts courtesy of foonas-ized LinkStations
as opensource TimeCapsules (+ p910nd printserver & Firefly media server)
see for details on how to make your OS X experience richer with a modded NAS device
Time Capsule/Time Machine Support on Your LinkStation
  (#17) Old
Default 12-31-2009, 06:46 PM

I've never had a panic, running 10.6.1, my disk is a Seagate ST9500420ASG (the one with the drop protection), which came with my Dell Studio XPS. The original 8GB Ubuntu SSD is in a drawer somewhere!
  (#18) Old
Default 01-01-2010, 08:05 AM

I disabled indexing on my 10v and haven't looked much at SA since posting. No KP's so far (jinx)!

Mini 10v | Black | OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard | 160GB HDD | 1GB RAM
  (#19) Old
Default 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM

I've done a completely clean reformat. Since that time I've gotten two more kernel panics. Different memory addresses on them and otherwise no information (doesn't even get logged in the system logs; I have to always boot in verbose mode so it dumps the data to the screen).

I repaired permissions recently and there was a bunch of stuff that showed up. I know permissions can cause KPs, but considering these occurred both before and after the re-install, I'm not sure that's it. Either way, I have my install backed up with SuperDuper. These last few days have been good but I also haven't been using my Mini as much. I'm going to wait to see if I get another KP; if so I'm going to install Windows XP and use it for a couple weeks. If I get a blue screen, I'll call Dell. If I don't, I saw a nice, affordable Seagate on (I'm in Canada) that I'll get to restore OS X to.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll post more as it happens and if anyone else wants to share their usage and installed hard drives, please do.

Mini 10v (160 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.2, NBI 8.3, BIOS A04)
  (#20) Old
Default far... - 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM

However, my machine is completely stock beyond the OS X SL install and subsequent upgrade.

[A little off-topic] I've given it opportunity however and reinstalled SL due to a misunderstanding as to the functionality of Moblin that I stuck on a USB stick. I _thought_ I was booting a live environment, and while it was booting, I chose to leave for a health break. Imagine my surprise when I looked on the screen when I returned to find that it was automagically partitioning my hard drive and installing the OS! Another health break and subsequent reinstall and she's again speaking mac (I'm still trying to find the flash drive but it cleverly hid when it saw I had a knife).[End of A little off-topic]

I'll be following this thread to see if any changes occur as a result of some switching to the Seagate brand. HD's and quality control seem to change brands from time to time. Seagate was IN for awhile, then went OUT due to reliability problems. I've heard they're making a comeback and I hope that's the case. I've had excellent luck with Seagate in the past, as well as Hitachi drives. Others, including WD, not so much.

Good-luck....No KP's in 2010!

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 2 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A04  NBI 8.3 Final

« Im stuck! | Leopard 10.5.3 PAINFULLY slow on my 10v :( »