Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default reinstall/reset MBR on a 10v - 12-08-2009, 03:18 AM

So a while ago I hackintoshed my 10v and that was fine. Now I want to try the new chromeOS build for the 10v, however whenever I try to boot from usb, it says Missing operating system, then goes on to say a bunch of stuff about a realtek ethernet controller, then says
"PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM."

I think there's something wrong with my MBR, because I can't boot off of any usb drive, and I'm wondering if there is a way to somehow fix this (pull the cmos cable?) Because I really want to try ChromeOS.

If more details are needed, just let me know I'll try to help.

Also just to clarify, I have usb legacy mode enabled, and it boot off the hard drive into Mac OSX just fine, only when trying to boot off of a usb does it fail.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 03:29 AM

Sounds like the Chrome OS image hasn't been properly copied onto the USB key in a properly bootable format.

You'll have to tell us which Chrome OS image you are using (since there are several of them) and how you copied it onto the USB key.
  (#3) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 03:33 AM this image

and I followed this guide that comes with it

I mean the only step I really have to follow is step 3, and I'm sure I did that correctly. Could it possibly be an issue of how I formatted the drive beforehand, because I formatted it to fat32 with gparted.

This may seem noobish, but what do the % mean in the guide? because I didn't type those in, is that possibly the problem?
  (#4) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 04:01 AM

If the target device in Step 3 is a whole storage device ("/dev/sda", "/dev/sdb", etc. not a partition like "/dev/sda1" or "/dev/sdb2") then the command overwrites any preexisting formatting and data on the target drive.

The "%" just indicate the terminal prompting YOU for input. So, not typing them is correct.

Edit, more:

Try booting the ChromeOS drive on another PC. Even if some critical device drivers are missing, you should get something.

Also, MBRs aren't stored in the BIOS. They are stored at the beginning of a storage device. On traditional PCs, they describe the device's partitions and also hold the code which'll be executed by the BIOS when booting from that device.

Yes, a corrupt MBR on the USB drive will screw up your boot. So, maybe the MBR on the USB drive is corrupt, or your downloaded image is corrupt, or you made a mistake when copying the data.

Ask someone who downloaded the image to post a MD5/CRC32/etc checksum for you to verify that your image file is correct. (run "md5sum -b filename" in a terminal to generate a MD5 value for the given file. If two files have matching MD5 values, it's almost certain that they're identical)

You could also try comparing the USB drive to the image file. "sudo cmp /dev/sdb drive.img && echo match" will print "match", if "/dev/sdb" (hopefully, your USB drive) is identical to "drive.img". Be patient, the comparison will take a while (many minutes).

The following command will be much faster, since it limits the comparison to the first 512 bytes, the MBR:
cmp <( dd if=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1 ) <( dd if=drive.img bs=512 count=1 ) && echo match

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Not your AVERAGE Shutdown issue with 10.6.2 | Mini 10v: Straight to 10.6.2? »