Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default New to the party, I think I need a new guide - 12-08-2009, 12:12 AM

Hi everyone,

My dell mini 10v should arrive here tomorrow, I can't wait.

I've read the gizmodo guide but it seems to be a bit outdated, plus the various wonderful guides around this forum seem to be more focused on users who are already in the process of using their hackintosh minis.

Any chance for an updated 10v guide which is addressing the 10.6.2 support, along with the new 0.8.3 RC4 updates? Also, what is the purpose of the NBI postboot download?

Do I still need to downgrade my BIOS if it will be A06? (It probably will be...).

Anyway, I think you get the point, I'm a bit lost with over-information .

Would appreciate everyone's help!

Side note: My Dell Mini will arrive with a 3 Cell battery, is there a good place to buy a 6 cell battery for a decent price? (the pricing on Dell's website cost like half a 10v).

Thanks for all your help!
  (#2) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 01:10 AM

You can adapt the Gizmodo guide a little bit. The general principles remain the same. Just get the new NBI from the development subforum. Read the first post of the user fixes thread as well.

You will need to downgrade your BIOS to A05 or lower.

I ordered a 6 cell when I placed the 10v order. It was only $35 extra, so I figured I would bite the bullet early on that one than have to deal with it aftermarket.
  (#3) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 01:19 AM

There is a lot of information in this post-

The best guides are here-
Guides | OS X | mechdrew

You will need to downgrade your BIOS before you can install OS X on your Mini 10V-
Downgrade your Mini 10v BIOS to A04 (Requires Windows)

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 12-08-2009, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by odedia View Post
what is the purpose of the NBI postboot download?
Bassicaly, it's used with NetbookCD to patch a read only root drive (the cd rom) so that it acts just like a usb device prepared with NetbookBootMaker.

There is *zero* reason to download for users, I really only put it there so Mechdrew could get it easily (yet 2,000 people have downloaded it...).

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a invite? message me.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 12-08-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by meklort View Post
There is *zero* reason to download for users, I really only put it there so Mechdrew could get it easily (yet 2,000 people have downloaded it...).
Perhaps we should go back to e-mails for that file.

The only thing you need to worry about with one of my guides is that I currently do not have the first guide (it uses a Mac to prepare the steps) isn't updated to reflect 10.6.2, but it will get you to at least 10.6.1. If you follow method 3 (installing with an external DVD drive) it has been updated with the 10.6.2 information.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#6) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 05:10 PM

hey congrats on getting the new mini 10v (if it arrived on time), mine should arrive tomorrow. I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now and was in the same boat as you with the overload of information and different methods, so i'm glad you posted this. I'm pretty sure I've got the gist of what is needed to be done, but have four questions.

1. I was planning on following mechdrews first guide that uses a mac to prepare the steps. Can i follow that guide to get everything installed and then just follow the last few steps in method 3 to get 10.6.2 installed? (wasn't sure if that's what you meant in your post or if I needed to do everything from method 3 in order to get 10.6.2)

2. The newest netbook installer (0.8.3) says "buggy" next to it, would I be better of going with that version or the older one? (0.8.2)

3. Netbook installer comes with the updated trackpad drivers right? the ones that enable two finger scrolling, etc.

4. I read a post a while back about the webcam having issues with ichat. Is that bug still around? or has it been addressed in a netbookinstaller revision?

Thanks alot everyone, these forums are great.
  (#7) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 06:05 PM

I used my Mac to install directly to the SDD from the 10v. I was taking it apart anyway for the RAM upgrade, so it wasn't a big deal. The upgrade to 10.6.2 broke booting, so I ended up creating a USB stick from that first method anyway. Takes forever, get started on it now. About 2 hours to load the stick from the DVD. Installing NetBookBootMaker to the USB after that is pretty fast.

For 10.6.2, you need the latest 0.8.3 as I understand it. However, you also need to use 0.8.2 to get a proper dsdt.aml file. I would install with 0.8.2, upgrade to 10.6.1 (rather than direct to 10.6.2, you can download the update file from Apple) then follow one of the guides to get 10.6.2 running. After the fuss I went through with my install, I think that would work better than the goofy way I did things.
  (#8) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 07:43 PM

I went with the HD enclosure method, which was really easy. Saved me from having to flash the BIOS. However am stuck at 10.6.1 for now.

+1 for an updated guide for NEW users - I agree from having tried to get my hackintosh working in the last couple of days that there is such a thing as information overload. However I did manage to get this working thanks to the immense patience and support of the forum members.

Dell Mini 10v | A06 | 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 RC5
iLife '09 | iWork '09
  (#9) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM

Awesome. Congrats.
  (#10) Old
Default 12-08-2009, 09:16 PM

thanks for advice! think i will go with ttabbal's suggestion. I'll let ya know how it goes tomorrow (if it comes in). For now... I'm off to prepare that USB! If anyone knows anything about my other questions from my previous post, please chime in!

guides, information, installation help, newbie

« Dell Mini 10v Running Snow Leopard. | problem booting into osx install »