Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default confused before I install SL - 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM

I have done a lot of reading and research before I start my "hackintosh" project. I have a new Mini 10v with A06 bios and I plan on removing the HDD and updating via my iMac. I want to finish with OSX 10.6.1 and Netbookinstaller 0.8.3 RC4. I don't think I want to move to 10.6.2 until all the bugs are out of the process but I want to have the most updated RC to be ready for when I update. My confusion stems from several guides that I have read on these forums. Some use Netbookbootmaker 0.8.2/Netbookinstaller 0.8.2/Netbookinstaller 0.8.3 RC3 and state that "this is the most important step", and some use Netbookinstaller 0.8.3 RC2/RC4 and state "do not use Netbookbootmaker". So is Netbookbootmaker needed or not?

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A06 | 2GB RAM |160GB HD | BT | 1510 WLAN 802.11g/n
SL 10.6.0 -> SL 10.6.1-> SL 10.6.2
NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC3-
> NBI 8.3RC5

(#2) Old
Default 12-07-2009, 04:09 PM

You'll probably get plenty of opinions regarding this, which some will definitely be better than mine, but here is what I did.

- I skipped the removing the HDD step and just downgraded the BIOS. Very simple.
- Put the SL 10.6 retail DVD image on a [bootable]USB drive along with NBM 8.3RC4 and obviously set BIOS to boot off the USB.
- Install went without a hitch. I made a single partition, no desire to use Windows 7.
- All worked. [sound/battery indicator/wifi/etc]
- Adjusted trackpad settings in the System Preferences, works really good.
- Ran NBI 8.2 final and then ran NBI 8.3RC4 then rebooted. [fixes dsdt file issue and sleep issue]

Then I went straight to 10.6.2 bc the steps were so basic.

-run NBI 8.3RC4
-software update 10.6.2
-run NBI 8.3RC4

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Maybe some of the fellas can clarify on my method. By the time I was done with my Mini 10v and NOT having any info came out about the dsdt file issue but I never ran into it.

I had just happened to run NBI 8.2 final and NBI 8.3RC4 while in the process of fixing the sleep/hibernate issues.....I'm assuming this took care of the dsdt file issue even though I'd already done a full install using NetBookMaker 8.3 RC4.

Anyhow, best practices are the way to go, however, at the time of my install, there were "different" practices.

This worked for me. Good luck man.

« Hello first !! then could I Have some Mac Advice !! | My Dell 10v/OS-X adventure »