Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Exclamation Installation Guide for New Mini 10v Owners - 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Hi guys,

I recently received my Dell Mini 10v. Over the past week or so I have been reading the forums, and am at a stage of information overload.

I intend to use the direct install method as outlined here: Method 4 - Direct Install from Mac to SSD/HDD | Guides | OS X | mechdrew.

It appears that guide was written for Leopard users, whereas I intend to install SL. The installation instructions seem identical up until this point 'Installing Updates'. At this stage, should SL users use Software Update to update to 10.6.2, or should I download the 10.6.1 update directly from the website?

I'm also confused as some guides make reference to the NetbookBootMaker, whereas the above guide does not. A user on the forum has also kindly pointed me to these directions:

But again I am unsure whether to now use NetbookInstaller RC4 with 10.6.1 OR do a software update to 10.6.2.

Thank you for your help.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM

NBM/NBI 0.8.3RC4 works with 10.6.2 and earlier.

I recommend you image your USB stick with 10.6 and then upgrade using the dmg file downloaded from Apple's site.

Once you image your USB stick, then bless it with NBM 0.8.3RC4 before using it to install your 10v.

Once 10.6 comes up, run the upgrade to 10.6.1 and then run the NBI 0.8.3RC4.

That is the rough draft of the steps.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old
Default 12-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Thanks for replying, tchariya. Can I omit the NTB completely if I am installing directly using an iMac? Also, do you feel it's safe to upgrade to 10.6.2 at this stage, or should I wait longer?

« easier bios update or downgrade ? | Unable to boot from any USB device. »