Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default External DVD Drive - 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM

I'm thinking of picking up the Dell external DVD drive for the 10V. It's on sale on Friday. Anyone know if it works with 10.6 or if there are problems?

Here's the link for it:
DELL 8X DVD±RW External USB Drive for Dell Laptops : Storage, Drives & Media | Dell

(#2) Old
Default 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM

I would think just about any USB DVD drive would be OK. I'm using DVD drive from an old G4- installed it in a box with a USB connection.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to HotDog
Default 11-25-2009, 08:32 PM

crackblind: I think it will work fine; I've not played with one of those Dell drives, but they sure do look nice! I picked up a Samsung SE-T048M slot loading drive (a new model, very nice) and it works great.

CD drives are a bit unpredictable it seems. Mine would not work at all until I plugged it into a Windows Box and reset the "region" code to 1 (mind you, it was already set to 1; I just set it again and "saved"). I then plugged it into my mini, and voila, now it is all working. I'd just say, be open to a little frustration, but it'll work out if you are persistent.

FYI, I like the DVD player that comes with SL, but it comes hobbled and will recognize/play only "internal" drives. if you look here DVD Player WORKS fine with External Drive , you'll find a tweak to make the DVD player work with your "external" drive. Good times.

[ Dell Mini 9 | Black | A04 | NBI 20100616212351 | OS X 10.6.7 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSD | BT | 1.3MP | WiFi ]
[ Dan-O-Cam : ]

10.6, 10v, dvd, external

« iPhoto 8.1.1 Upgrade Succesful! | Can't resolve Hibernate image file... »