Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Flakey Ethernet - 10.5.8 Mini 10v - 11-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Hi all,

Followed the most recent NetbookInstaller .083 RC3 guide for installing Leopard (10.5.8) on a Mini 10v (1011). Everything works well, except for the Ethernet connection, which appears to flake out on me.

I've tried using NetbookInstaller to re-install Chameleon, re-install the Dell Mini 10v Extensions and regenerate a system specific dsdt.aml file - I'll reboot, and Ethernet will work for a little while and then simply stop.

I'm fairly confident this is software related - Ethernet worked fine under Ubuntu and Windows XP. Further evidence in OS X seems to indicate that Network preference pane doesn't always pull updated Ethernet port information as well - e.g., the cable will be plugged in and the status will show as "not connected" or the reverse: Ethernet will stop working, I'll pull the cable, but the network pref pane still shows a green Ethernet connection with an IP.

I've also tried deleting all the network connections, running NetbookInstaller (as above) and re-propagating them in the network pref pane (no avail) and creating a new location in the network pref pane (no avail).

There was some discussion of this problem on a much older thread: Ethernet Not Working

As a reference point, the 10v system stats are: Leopard 10.5.8, Bluetooth, Webcam, BIOS legacy USB setting off, NetBookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3.

Any thoughts on what else to try? It's not a super huge deal, but since this Mini is getting used by several people, I'd like it to be captured in our overnight backups, which work much faster over Ethernet than 802.11g.

« Can't sleep! | DiskWarrior »