Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v - Network Problem - Slow Connection - WiFi Timeout - 11-06-2009, 02:45 PM

Hello, everyone.

I received my Dell Mini 10v a few days ago, and I followed the awesome guides on these forums to get Snow Leopard running on the 10v. Thank you for making that possible!! This is a sweet little machine. =)

The only errors I'm running into are network related, and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing connections issues or dropouts at home or from places such as coffee shops that have wifi hotspots that forward you to a webpage and click an accept button before you're able to access the business' wifi internet?

Any help would be appreciated!! =D

Here is my current setup and a brief timeline:

1.66 GHz
1GB Ram
160 GB Hard Drive
BIOS A04 (Downgraded from A06)
NetbookBootMaker 0.8.2
OS 10.6
TrackPad Patch (
OS 10.6.1 (Software Update)
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3 (Updated after OS 10.6.1 update)

01 - I can not establish a DVD or CD Sharing connection with my MacBook Pro (Leopard 10.5.8) using 0.8.2 or 0.8.3 RC3.

02 - I was experiencing slow 10v wireless connections to my AirPort Extreme while my MacBook Pro did not have any problem connecting wirelessly. I was hoping it wasn't my 10v's wireless card.

03 - I came across a Dell Tech Support thread (Inspiron mini 10V (1011) wireless 1510, dropping connection - DELL COMMUNITY) that explained that other Mini 10v users with factory Windows installs were experiencing slow connections or dropouts and that their routers should be changed to Channel 11. That fixed my slow netbook connection at home. Finally, my 10v connected as fast as my MacBook Pro. However, I still wonder why my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly without a problem before switching to Channel 11. Why wouldn't the 10v connect just like the MacBook Pro? I guess it's a 10v wifi card issue?

04 - I tested my 10v at a local Panera Bread. I booted up the 10v, it saw PANERA on the wifi list, I tried to connect to it, and it kept dropping out. I rebooted the machine, it saw PANERA, and it connected right away. I tried to go to a random webpage knowing that I would be forwarded to a Panera Bread welcome page to click "OK" for a free connection, and that page never appeared. Then I got a "!" on wifi icon in the top-right corner of Snow Leopard, and it said, "No internet connection."

I can't seem to figure out what the main problem is. Every network problem I have is random. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! =)

(#2) Old
Default 11-06-2009, 06:07 PM

I believe you have to use your MBP install disk to add the ability to share a CD/DVD (that's what you have to do with a MB Air).

The 1510 is a PIA piece of hardware - your issues start there. That said, I'm connecting to this forum with a 1510 in a 10v on OS X without issue (knock wood and all that). I've had other machines with the same setup right next to this one not be able to connect consistently. The only explanation in my mind is that it's the card and the card has a faulty connection built into it causing inconsistent connectability. Because a card sometimes works and Dell techs get paid to move things along, faulty cards that connect once get passed right on through their QC.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Default 11-06-2009, 06:53 PM

I'd check your connections on the wifi card to be sure. Make sure that you don't have an antenna connection that's loose, and make sure it's seating properly.

In my original 10v, I also had the 1510. It liked to give me **** with Linux more than other OS'es. The 1397 I had in my current one worked flawlessly. I just recently upgraded to an Atheros based card, and I ain't looking back.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#4) Old
Default Mini 10v - Wireless Problem - 11-09-2009, 08:41 PM

Thank you for the responses. =)

I guess I'm using the 1510 if I have a 1.66 GHz. I wasn't aware of that. I did some testing with the factory installed wifi adapter, and it works flawlessly with AirPort Extremes on Channel 11. I tried two different AirPort Extremes at two different locations. If the AirPort Extremes are on Automatic, then I get timeouts, dropped connections, or extremely slow connections.

I went to a couple different stores with wifi hotspots, and I noticed different speeds. It's hard to determine the problem when I don't know the settings of the routers I'm connecting to at the hotspots.

I would think my wifi adapter is fine if I have a fast connection on certain routers or channels. Wouldn't that be a driver issue?

I tried a Linksys WUSB600N Version 2 with Ralink drivers, and it wasn't working, so I returned it. I can't find anyone who's mentioned any success with a USB wifi adapter in Snow Leopard. Everyone is having success with Leopard. I was trying to test the connections with a USB wifi adapter versus the Dell built-in adapter.

Does anyone know of any USB wifi adapters that work in Snow Leopard? =)

(#5) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM

I was having a similar issue. For what it's worth, I'm using an ancient router. Simply switching the wireless broadcast channel made a substantial difference for me.
  (#6) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Revearti View Post

01 - I can not establish a DVD or CD Sharing connection with my MacBook Pro (Leopard 10.5.8) using 0.8.2 or 0.8.3 RC3.
Sorry, can't help with most of this. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, having never had an ounce of trouble with my 10v's wi-fi.

But as to the CD/DVD sharing, I picked this up along the way, and I've not had a problem since - it may help you:

On a MacBook Air this Remote CD is already enabled. On other Macs this isn’t the case. To get it working, open up Terminal and type (copy/paste) the following two lines, press return after each one. There will be no confirmation from Terminal when you have finished. From MacRumors. That is a capital "O" in the commands, not a zero.

defaults write EnableODiskBrowsing -bool true

defaults write ODSSupported -bool true

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 160 Gb HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A04 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : OFF | Bluetooth | WebCam

« Posting from Mini10v SnowLeopard ! | Another "which version" question »