Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Wish me luck! - 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM

After finding a Hackintosh guide on Gizmodo over the weekend, I decided to take the plunge and put Snow Leopard on a 10v. I've built many PCs over the years and currently have a dual boot Win7/OSX desktop. I also own a MacBook Pro because of the ergonomics but my 11yo DD has co-opted it for her own. I want my MacBook back! Since low end MacBooks are still $$$, the 10v option is very attractive.

Ordered a Jade Green standard 10v (DD's favorite color is ..... green) and a retail copy of Snow Leopard. I'm going to install iLife '08 so that Garage Band is re-sizable.

This can't be any more difficult then building my dual boot Hackintosh. The biggest obstacle for me is my lack of knowledge about OSX. I mostly run Win7 via VMWare on my my MacBook Pro. But I'm willing to learn and figure the worst thing that can happen is that I have to try multiple times to get everything to work.

Wish me luck and I'll update this thread when I start working on the 10v.

This is very informative forum and glad I found it.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM

I can't help you with OSX, but good luck anyways.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Good Luck! You'll do fine. I was completely inexperienced in OSX before starting this little project and now I feel pretty pretty good about it.

Like you said...the worst that will happen is you have to re-run things. I really don't think you'll have any problems though. The most common things that I've run into are having to rerun the NetBookInstaller, (I had issues like no sound and funky trackpad function) an occasional freeze during the bootup (after installing OSX -- no known fix for this that I know of), and the general wonderment if "this is how things are supposed to be" -- hopefully now that NBI is even more mature, you won't even have those issues...even if you do you'll get around them and have a nice little green Mac soon enough.
  (#4) Old
Default 10-28-2009, 03:01 AM

I need some luck too!
Ive been trying and trying to get the guts to try an OSX install on my mini10v but now its actually in the works thanks to mechdrew! His guide seems so so so simple and i think i can handle it. Now only to find a external CD drive

Vaio CS series--2.4ghrz--4gb ddr2--220HDD--Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell Mini 10v--n270--1gb ram--160HDD--windows 7 Home Premium

« New to the Scene | OSX 10v on BIG displays ? »