Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default New 10v Won't Boot Install from USB - 10-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Hi All,

Just got my Mini 10v today and I've been trying to install Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 and nothing seems to work. I keep getting stuck at the stage where I plug in my USB drive formatted with either the Leopard or Snow Leopard installation DVD. When I hit F-12, "USB Storage" is not an option. I've even set the bios to start off the USB drive but I noticed there is an exclamation mark next to "USB Storage" in the BIOS setup. What does that mean? Why can't my mini boot from the USB drive?

The only thing I can think of is that there is something wrong with my USB flash drive or there is something wrong with my mini...

thanks for any help!
  (#2) Old
Default 10-23-2009, 07:24 PM

Can you boot off the drive on another PC?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM

What method did you use? Did you build your USB stick with a Mac or with a Windows box?

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ---------- BIOS did you enable Legacy USB Support and also add USB as a bootable media?

Mini 10v
  (#4) Old
Default 10-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the quick responses! I just bought a new flash drive, but it looks like there was something wrong in the BIOS settings. I had enabled legacy support but it kept giving me an exclamation mark next to "USB Storage." All I did was "Restore to default" and then went back and enabled legacy support. Now I'm in the middle of installing Snow Leopard. So far, so good!

(#5) Old
Default 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM

got the above problem,

i've restored SL onto my usb-hdd via a DMG image from a retail disk.

everything as according to instructions but just cant boot the mini 10v off the usb-hdd no matter what i've done. even downgraded to a04 bios.

what am i missing here?

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

btw, i can boot the usb-hdd on my macbook on startup on pressing the option key. so i presume the usb-hdd is working?
  (#6) Old
Talking Try restoring Bios to default - 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM

Hi Guys,
I had a similar problem. I tried a couple of different USB drives without luck. What solved the issue is what DOUG suggested:
1.Access bios on start up (F2 when logo appears)
2.Re set the Bios to default settings. I think you find that option in the "Exit" menu of the Bios.
3.Save and exit by pressing F10.
4.On boot press F2 to access Bios again and under Advanced make sure USB BIOS legacy is enabled, and in boot menu, USB storage is at the top of the list. If not, highlight it and bring it up with F6.
5.Insert the MacOSX USB which you prepared with netbook maker.
6.Press F10 to save and exit.
Now both my usb drives work so somehow I had messed up with the BIOS and that is why it was not working,

Hope this helps!!

« Mini 10v will not boot into USB Drive | Updating to 10.6.x. from 10.5.8 »