Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 10-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by themoose View Post
Maybe I don't have enough RAM (only 1GB, assigned 200 MB to XP). I tried both a XP original install CD and an ISO image CD. I get: Failed to start the virtual machine ..... VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX). Result Code: NX_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005).
This is a software issue, for some reason Sun decided to make it default to a feature our Minis don't have. There is a fix, take a look at this old thread: Trying to install XP using Virtualbox... vt-x problem

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#12) Old
Default 10-26-2009, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by mechdrew View Post
Since the measly 1.6 Ghz processor is having to run two operating systems at the same time with a bias towards Mac OS (since it is the host operating system) any virtualization application is going to be slow. I'm a personal fan of VirtualBox, although I must say that during my limited trial of VMWare Fusion it seems just a wee bit faster, but not much.

Another option you have is Crossover, which is made by Code Weavers, and runs your Windows programs as if they are native Mac applications, so they run a whole lot faster. The major issue here is that not everything will work exactly the same, like special network protocols (I can't do LAN multiplayer in WarCraft II) or really advanced software (Office 2010 Technical Preview.)
Another option is to use Darwine, which is the Mac port of WINE. Basically, it's the same thing as CrossOver, but it's free. Note that not all applications will run under Darwine (it'll tell you if it doesn't with a really annoying error message), and the ones that do might be a little slow (I've been doing Pokémon Firered hacks using Advance Map under Darwine, and it's noticeably slower than the same program running under Windoze XP), but if you're short on cash or a Windoze license, Darwine is a viable option.

I was actually wondering whether VMware would run on these things; I really want to put my XP partition to good use.
  (#13) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 02:04 AM

I am a registered VMWare Fusion user on my MacBook Pro, but I had originally not planned to run it on my Mini. Reading this discussion, and wishing I had my MBP with me today on the road for this very purpose, changed my mind. Although I don't have a backup copy of my WinXP virtual machine with me, I went ahead and downloaded an eval copy of Fusion 2.06, installed it without a hitch, and started it right up. Of course, it wants to find my WinXP VM, but we'll see how that runs in a couple of days when I get back home.
  (#14) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM

FWIW, I just downloaded and installed the Fusion 3.0 upgrade. Except for a hard crash during the download, all went smoothly. Looking forward to loading up a vm into it.
  (#15) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Read my Post #5. Fusion installs and runs fine on both a Mini 9 and Mini 10v. Parallels will not install on a Mini 9. I have not tried it on my 10v.

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#16) Old
Default 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM

"With Fusion you can import your existing physical machine as a virtual machine into Mac running OSX."

I used VMware's tool to clone my existing XP Home while it was running!, and then imported it into VirtualBox. (Virtualbox now support VMware image format)

I had to edit the xml file to get VirtualBox past the x-VT error, but otherwise it
runs well on my Mini 9 with 2GB of ram. especially with the Guest Extensions loaded, and running in seamless mode.

So.. i didn't bother with dual boot..

« Screen resolution and closing the lid problems | Hang at initial install boot »