Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Can't access my HD - 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM

I tried to use the hard drive enclosure method. I installed Snow Leopard ok however, when I tried to run NBI it asked me for the username and password for the hard drive. Needless to say I thought I remembered it but I guess not because it keeps saying wrong username or password. Anyway I looked on the net for some solutions. One guide said intall the OS again up to the part where you set the username and password then take the disk out and use the new username. I tried this method with the SL install disk but I couldn't install because once again I need the username and password. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I know nothing about OSX operating systems so I don't even know how to reformatt this HD. Sorry for the long post.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Well, I have not 100% verified this...however:

- Boot into single user mode (-s) at Chameleon...or if you've got it showing the graphics then hit down arrow a few times when you see the picture of hard drive, to get "single user" mode.

- Follow the instructions that you'll see after booting is done (tons of terminal text messages) to mount the system /sbin/mount etc etc etc..

- type passwd.....that will then allow you to change the password for "root" access, without needing to know the old one. (Well, worked for me...).
- or type passwd <user_name> without the <>, then you should be able to change that one.

I guess if you cant remember the user, then type cd /Users, and then ls to see the directory names, one or more of which ought to be same as your original user name.

« wrong resolution after 10.5.8 update and netbookinstaller 0.8.3RC3 | OSX or Dual Boot? »