Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Post Install SL Startup Issues - 09-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the great work and discussions around this awesome piece of technology!

I performed in install of Snow Leopard on my 10v on Sunday using the NBM .8.2 method and everything went perfectly. OSX loaded right up the first time through with no issues. Everything seemed basically fine (trackpad was working--although a little funky, I heard sound from the speakers, the camera worked..things looked great). I then went ahead and did the 10.6.1 update. This installed and the mini restarted and all seemed well again. I played around with the system for about a half an hour and called it a night and turned it off.

Yesterday when I turned it on I couldn't get past the grey apple screen after several reboots and wondering what may have gone wrong. I logged in using boot:-x -f and ran Netbook Installer and that allowed me to restart, but now I've lost sound and clicking on the camera in iChat causes the application to crash.

It seems that I started off great, but now things are taking a downturn for the worse. Is this normal? Did I just miss a step or something?

Thanks a lot for looking. My configuration is as follows:

DellMini 10v; BIOS rev A05; 1GB Ram; OS: OSX 10.6.1; Install Method NBM 0.8.2 (final)
  (#2) Old
Default 10-26-2009, 11:49 PM

Does anyone really know what is going on here? I can only find two suggestions, neither of which work :
- re-running both NetBookInstaller versions with "install old mirror friendly GMA kext" unchecked
- Terminal command :
defaults write newbwdup 30000

Crashing :
- iChat when video is initialized

Working :
- webcam in Photo Booth
- webcam in Skype

Setup :
Mini 10v - A06 bios - OSX 10.6.1
  (#3) Old
Default 10-27-2009, 12:12 AM

Since I wrote that post, I've been operating solidly for several weeks now. I upgraded to NetBookinstaller 0.8.3RC3 in early October and have seen almost all of my problems be addressed by this (after the first run -- safe mode, I was experience some sound and graphics issues but I ran it again in normal mode and that repaired all that was broken).

I haven't seen a boot freeze (at the grey apple screen) since then either but I haven't read anything to make me believe that it's been addressed. I think there's something funky still going on during the boot process that does cause a lock up every now and again.

I've seen a few posts relating to the hibernate image, but haven't taken the initiative to try that since I've been running solidly.

I know that it's not much help, but I am happy with the way things are working right now and have even begun doing some app development on the system. I'm wishing I did the 2GB upgrade!

Good luck.

« Possible to upgrade with Snow Leopard CD? | Upgrade RAM after hackintoshing »