Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Default 09-30-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by drkrisg View Post
$29.99 upgrade version is good for a first time user. I started of just like you did with out the 2 gig upgrade
Ok looks like that's what I'm gonna do. Just really confused as to why Apple has a $150 retail version for sale opposed to the $29.99 upgrade if they are both full operating systems and will work as a fresh install on a new system?
  (#12) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Carnage View Post
Don't steal. Buy.
Hey Max, I did buy it... once!

but Karma can be a beatch, right?
  (#13) Old
Default 10-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Buy it once for each computer.

Dell Mini 10v | OSX 10.6.1 | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 1510 Wifi | BIOS A04 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: ON | OEM BT 2.0: ON | NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC3

(#14) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by mobkon View Post
Just really confused as to why Apple has a $150 retail version for sale opposed to the $29.99 upgrade if they are both full operating systems and will work as a fresh install on a new system?
One has a license for installing on any Mac, i.e. it doesn't require a previous Leopard install. The other only has a license for upgrading from Leopard.

Note I said *license* which is to say that the difference is the terms of use of the software (the Snow Leopard OS) not the software itself being different.

Whether anyone, including Apple, cares what you do when you install on a Dell mini is another issue. As is how you feel about violating a license agreement, since you're violating the Apple branded computer part of the same agreement when installing on a Dell anyway.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#15) Old
Default 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM

I've done some reading up on the lawsuits pending, the legality and enforceability of the EULA, etc. Not a lot, but some. I also am aware that Apple makes all of their money off the hardware, not the OS sales.

All of that aside, while we are violating the EULA by using a non-Apple system, this is hard to enforce and the legality is somewhat questionable, it seems.

Buying an upgrade version of OS X and using it without the initial core disc is flat-out illegal, and much more likely to land you in hot water if caught. Regardless of whether the upgrade version has the core with it, or is simply a collection of upgraded files only, it's still without question illegal.

Suck it up and buy the full version. Compared to Microsoft OS products, OS X is cheap. Also, these forums support legally purchased OS X copies, unless the threads I read about this are wrong.

Using an upgrade-only version without the initial core license is no different than using a Torrent version without buying it at all.
  (#16) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by amutti View Post
Bottomline: There is absolutely no difference between the dvds packaged in any of the versions ($29 "upgrade", $49 upgrade family pack, or the full retail versions) at the moment. This could change . . . At some point they'll start selling 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 disks and "may" change the rules. Making all the disks the same made producing the massive volume for launch day a lot easier . . .

Anyway, its up to you to decide which version to buy. You're already violating the EULA by installing on non-apple hardware.
The 29$ and 49$ are the same DVD. The 169$ comes with all the iLife/iWork stuff.

You only need the $29 version to create a Hackintosh. If you're doing a few the 49$ might be more appropriate. No Hackintosh is legitimate as far as Apple is concerned but if you like the OS enough to do this I think you should throw a few bucks Apples way. I did.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

« Am I the only one who doesn't understand about NetbookInstaller and DellEFI? | Mini 10v, 10.5.8 - Will Not Wake from Sleep »