Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Help needed with mechdrew's Old Method 7 - 09-28-2009, 02:30 AM

I dont have a mac so I am trying Mechdrew's Old Method 7 to install my retail version of Leopard. I followed the instructions and I have the following on my small 4GB flash drive: Dell Mini Boot v8.0.2b1 and DellEFI for 10v and Syslinux 3.63. I have Bluetooth. Bios A05. USB Legacy Support is ON and USB Wake from SLeep is OFF. I set the boot sequence to boot from USB but it does not and loads Windows. When I press F12 and Boot from USB storage, I get an error Could not find kernel image: linux boot:

Thanks for your help!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 09-28-2009, 04:52 AM

So you ran the Syslinux commands, not simply copied over syslinux? And order is important, you copied the contents of the DellMiniBoot ISO to the flashdrive and then executed the Syslinux command?

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#3) Old
Default 09-28-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally the mini was unavailable due to RAM upgrade so I downloaded the ISO and unzipped with Virtual Clone drive and copied the files with another windows machine to the 4GB flash drive. I followed the instructions and downloaded syslinux unzipped it to the C: drive of the other windows machine and followed the instructions to copy it to the 4GB flash drive. I tried the above sequence this morning on the mini (I formatted the 4GB flash drive first so that I had a clean install, downloaded Virtual CloneDrive) The only thing that I did not do was download a new copy of the DellEFI for 10v. When I ran syslinux on the mini this morning I did get the blank prompt. I am still getting the same error message.
  (#4) Old
Default 09-28-2009, 05:05 PM

You need to copy all of the files off of the iso onto the flash drive, then run syslinux -ma <flash drive letter> from the syslinux/win32 directory.

Did you do a full format, or a quick one? I had problems with my flash drive until I did a full format on it. Quick was not fixing the issues.
  (#5) Old
Default 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks iamwiz82 and mechdrew,

I downloaded the iso again on another computer and syslinux worked! Here is the next issue that I have. I get to the leopard dvd install portion. I select esc, 82, -f and I get the following error message with a grey screen "You need to restart your computer, Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button." I am reformatting the flash drive and reinstalling the dvd. I will try using -x instead. Any other thoughts?

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Please pardon the multiple newbie posts, I tried -x and I still get the same grey screen and message about restart. Any help is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Looks like I have the same kernel panic as iamwiz82. Panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00434A1F): Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\~.\n...

I am using a 16GB Kingston flash drive.
  (#6) Old
Default 09-29-2009, 04:19 AM

**Update**Happy Birthday to My Hackintosh
1. I reinstalled Leopard to 16GB flash drive
2. Reinstalled BootEFI
3. Attempted reinstall process again...this time NO Kernel Panic but a White Screen with Apple Logo. Rebooted and....Voila!! It Worked!!!
Finishing with the 10.5.7 update but I wanted get online with Airport and send this post from my new Hackintosh! Now, it is time for some cake . Thanks to all of the forum posts, guides and youtube videos you helped a newbie make it through the process!

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

How could I forget the most important part:
Dell Mini 10v, Mac OSX 10.5.7, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, BIOS A05

« 10v and Multitouch for Mac OS X | Please post a video of your mini 10v running OS X »